The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I had a couple mysterious deaths in my livebearer tank at work. Despite quarantine, the little darlings (or at least one of them) hauled in Camallanus.

I've removed all the fish from the tank and deposited them in a hospital tank. Right now I'm treating with Flagel, but will probably follow (post-treatment) with either Fenbedazole or Levamisole, if I can get hold of them.

Problem is this . . . though the tank at work is empty (of fish), is that enough to rid the tank? I'm thinking probably not. I do have trumpet snails all over that tank.

I figure anything eventually dies if its food source disappears. However, I do not know if that will prove effective. Thoughts? Experiences? Prayers?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Months. Wow. That defeats the purpose of my tank at work. The Vals and Crypts are nice, but the fish are my reason for keeping one.

I wonder if either med will have a negative impact on the plants. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are treating all the fish, there really isn't a point in moving them into a QT tank. Since the shrimp/snails also need to be treated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I moved the fish to quaratine because I had not yet diagnosed the problem. Once in a smaller tank, I could more easily see the problem, so that is a done deal. Also, I come from the school of "removal," as treatments seem more effective in smaller tanks, but that could be confirmation bias.

Anyhow, I shall try to get my hands on this and dose the planted tank as well.

Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Treating with Levamisole will clean things up nicely but the dosing needs to be repeated again in 30 days to get the second pass on the parasites life cycle. The first pass gets the adults and the second gets the eggs once hatched.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Levamisole is apparently difficult to come by here--for some odd reason. That being said, I've maintained the platies in the hospital tank; in the meanwhile, my tank has set empty, minus the snails. I also moved the tank from my office to home.

I've dosed with Flagyl a little over 30 days ago. Since the tank is home, I'm dosing again. Every specialty store I've spoken with has little to offer me other than the Flagyl option. Given the time that has elapsed, I'm hopeful we've had some type of die-off from the worms and that the combination of Flagyl and Praziquantel shall eliminate any younger ones.

To summarize, some of the fish have survived and remain in quarantine.

The tank has been left for greater than 30 days with only snails & plants.

Flagyl/Praziquentel medication combination has been dosed twice since emptying the tank of fish.

What are your thoughts on further efforts I could make to ensure erradication?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.