The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 55 gallon low tech in my daughter's room. We have a small house, and in an effort to make room for her new sister that is on the way, I'm breaking it down and moving everything into a 40 breeder in the kitchen. I'm taking the opportunity of moving the tank to do some MTS, adding CO2 and more light on the big tank. My daughter and wife really enjoy the tank in her room, so I'd like to put a smaller tank back in there. I have some old tanks I can use, a spare 5, 10 or 20 gallon. I'd like to do something fun and I'm open to decorations, but at the same time keeping it classy, natural and planted. I'm planning on keeping this one extremely low tech. Maybe some fert dosing, no CO2 and low light.

Do you guys have any ideas? I'd love to see some examples!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think you should let your daughter take her pick on what she wants and let her add it. Let her also tell you where she wants most of the stuff you want in there as well. My kids love helping me in my tanks. Makes them feel like they did it with their parent and they will love it. Good luck, cant wait to see some pics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, she's two, so her suggestions would consist of "Fishey" and "Nail" (she's not so good with the S's). But I'm really looking forward to her participation in the future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
10 or 20 gallon crayfish tank! Crayfish are so personable, I'm sure your toddler would enjoy seeing it react to her. Pretty much the most low maintenance tank possible. Couldn't do plants though unless you wanted to set up a dwarf crayfish colony.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You generally don't want the kids to pick the fishes. They don't know about compatibilities.
I know what you mean there. Years ago I setup a small 1 or 2 gal tank for my nephew. The fish he liked was a clown trigger. Now I can sort of see that due to the colors and so on. After all clown triggers have shown up on the covers of a lot of SW aquarium books. However, it's rather out of the question.

We settled on a few white clouds.

However, I don't see a problem with giving the kids a choice in the matter. Pick out a few species for them that will work, and have the kids select from those.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know what you mean there. Years ago I setup a small 1 or 2 gal tank for my nephew. The fish he liked was a clown trigger. Now I can sort of see that due to the colors and so on. After all clown triggers have shown up on the covers of a lot of SW aquarium books. However, it's rather out of the question.

We settled on a few white clouds.

However, I don't see a problem with giving the kids a choice in the matter. Pick out a few species for them that will work, and have the kids select from those.
That works. Sort of a prefilter before letting them choose.

·
Registered
589 Posts
What did your daughter like most about the previous tank?

If you want ornaments, some of the roman themed ruins look cool.

I like the shrimp tank suggestion if its going to be a small tank.

Crayfish are pretty destructive. I have one and large fast growing plants are the only option (i use Aponogetons) - they get shredded constantly but manage to grow as fast as they're destroyed.

Kids love corys - very cute and active.

live bearers are fun too - find a preggo platy or molly at the LFS and set up a small tank (or divider) also for the fry - bet the kid would LOVE that.

Just some thoughts.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
should do a dwarf puffer they are alot of fun. of course with a jungle of plants =]
I think the Dwarf Puffer Tank is it. Just waiting on my LFS to get them in. I went with the 10 gallon because it fit on a bookshelf we had better than the 20. I put a huge piece of driftwood in it that divided the tank up and provides a bunch of nooks and caves. I added lots of Java Fern, Crypts, and Anubais, plus a bunch of snails from my larger tank that hitched a ride. The little puffers should have plenty of stuff to keep them busy. Thank you all for you suggestions! I'll post some picks as soon as the new tank inhabitants are in.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My 2 year old is obsessed with our tanks, so we're finishing a setup in his room. It has a locking lid so he can't mess with it.

I let him pick out colors of fish... neons were his choice. Or "blue fish".

People think I'm nuts when I tell them I gave a 2 year old an aquarium, then they see the 20 others in the house...

He loves them though, and they've done wonders for him. He's learned to count, colors, and names with the help of aquariums.

It is decorated in the most gaudy of ways... t-rex bubbler, skulls and nemo and the works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My daughter loves helping feed the fish. It's a really great daily routine we get to do as soon as I get home from work. Since I got the puffers, I've had to start feeding blood worms, and she gets so frustrated waiting for them to thaw before we can dump them in the tank.

I've got empty tanks in the basement and I've been trying to get the other dads I know to set up a tank for their kids, but they're always worried that it will take too much time and money. I always tell them it's not that expensive or time consuming, then I realize how much time and money I've spent on my hobby, and I talk them out of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts