The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these at walmart for $1.86 each. They were little ceramic toothbrush holders. My apistogrammas LOVE them. The male hides from females in them, and the females each claim one for their own. You can rotate so the open half is the entrance or the small toothbrush holes. I keep 3 in each of my 20 gallons. And when walmart restores their shelves I will put more in my 125. They have other colora like blue, green, white and brown. I like brown it matches the driftwood. Photos below are in my apisto tank.

A few of the caves set up. Keeping the openings facing away from each other keeps them from claiming more than one cave.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Female Apistogramma Cacatuoides Gold Red in her cave. She never let's anyone else in there.

The male also has a cave. You can barely see him. He only goes in there at night.

Comments welcome :) this is a great alternative to buying cichlid caves that are sooo expensive!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best part is no sharp areas they can get cut on. Some caves have sharp corners at the entrance.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes and unless silicone is holding it together or the slate is heavy a strong current or big fish can make it collapse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts