936 9
Hey all,

Pretty new to the game. I've got a 32 gallon tank with;

4x rummuy nose tetras
6 x young neons
3x Serpea tetras
2x black neons
1 golden algae eater

Wondering what you guys think, overstocked? Room for more? I'd like to add a few more rummy noses and maybe some kind of centerpiece but don't want to overstock. Looks pretty empty still but when full grown I may already be right on the 1" per gallon guideline. thoughts?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Inch per gallon is as out as watts per gallon!
You could be close,but your groups are lite!I like and have almost all of your fish.
You need more rummies ,a few more neons won't hurt(but they like cooler water ,then the rummies) and the serpae and blacks may get bigger then you think{they would like larger groups also but consider the others to be dwarf tetras compared to them}.
Re home the algae eater ,and wait till algae grows to see what is best.I like ottos and bushy nose plecos.
You may get by with some snails though?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You should really have just two schools of fish, maybe three. The tank looks too busy and patchy otherwise, and it doesn't look natural. Plus, the fish do best in larger schools of their own species.
I would suggest you remove the serpaes. You'll need 6 of them, at least, so they won't become aggressive. However, even then there's no guarantee that they won't start biting others when they get older. If you remove them, you'll have room for more black neons and a couple more of everything else. I say go for 7-8 of everything.
What kind of 'golden algae eater'? Most of the fish under that category will get large and aggressive and stop eating algae when they get older.
Go to aqadvisor.com and enter your details, it's a halfway decent stocking calculator. It's a conservative estimate, though, so you can stock your tank up to about what it'll say is 120%.

·
Registered
516 Posts
as others have stated i wanted to say the same thing. It's nice to have many different fish, but you don't have the room for large schools of all of those, and in the end it is detrimental to the fish for it.

you should remove some of the fish you don't care for as much and make 2 large schools of fish.

all of your fish like to be in groups of 6 and they would all prefer to have more then 6. i'm not sure what the golden algae eater is so i can't speak to it, but every other fish there needs more friends.

bring it down to 2 large schools of 10-15 or so. if it was me i would get a bunch of rummy nose because they are cool, and then go with black neons or regular neons. also even one huge school of rummynose would be awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips! I've heard about problems with the GAE (after buying if course) and with the serpaes. So far the serpaes have been pretty good. The harrased my neons for a day when I added them to the tank but seemed to have settled in. I'm pretty sure my last GAE killed one of my serpeas a while back and then died himself. I stupidly replaced it with another young one a couple weeks ago. I guess now I'll have to try and catch the little guy (good luck with that) and get him out of there. I like the idea of a couple big schools. I'm flirting with the idea of switching to a saltwater reef tank in the not to distant future but want to perfect the art first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.