The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats the best treatment to go about this? I had imported shrimp which did fine for some time. Then there was daily deaths. Guessed it was substrate so i went bare bottom. No deaths for bout a week, then a massive die off, like 6+ a single day.

The shrimps are molting fine and are actively breeding, most that are dropping seem to be berried females. Unsure what it is at this point so im going to get some RO and treat for anything.

This is for neos.
Tds 250s
7 ph
8-9 gh
5-6 kh
~70f degrees
0 ammo, no2,no3

Had leaves which released a bit of tannins but that didn't seem to help. My tap comes out with ~40 tds, guessing some of it is copper? I do use salty shrimp.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds exactly what i went through. i ended up tearing down my 29g and putting what i had left (from 50 down to 4 adults and 12 babies) into a 2.5g with r/o and barely any tap... they are doing great now.. i've also been treating with maracyn 2 for bacterial infection everyday.
Yeaaaa, I still got a few adults, many babies. No deaths since you starting medicating? Also had a bunch of IAL and Alder cones, seems to have done nothing though.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
API Melafix + SeaChem Paraguard works wonders for me. This is how I do it. YMMV.
This will usually shock alot of the infected shrimps and could possibly create a good amount of death initially. Anywhere from 1-2 to 4-5 a day. Treatment is brutal but works :)

1.) Keep temp 72 and below while treating at all times. Feed very little. 2x a week only.
2.) Dose 2x the recommended label of Melafix. 2 drops of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
3.) 50% W/C on the 5th day
4.) Dose the recommended label of Melafix. 1 drop of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
5.) 50% W/C on the 10th day

By the 11th day onward, any shrimps that remain should all be ok and the ones that are weak would have been dead by now. Don't touch the water, the shrimps. Just let them be.

Keep the temp 72 and below as long as you can right after treatment to prolong effectiveness ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeaaaa, I still got a few adults, many babies. No deaths since you starting medicating? Also had a bunch of IAL and Alder cones, seems to have done nothing though.
a few deaths but they looked infected anyways. not anywhere near what i was losing.. about 1 every couple days compared to the 4-5 a day! i gave up on IAL, they did nothing for me and i hated the merky brown water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.