The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a juvenile pleco in one of my tanks thats about 8 inches long. I never hear of anyone using them in planted tanks, so is it just that they are big enough to knock plants around or something else? Because he has a wonderful appetite and ive been tossing the idea of putting him in my planted tank. Other than pushing a plant every now and then he shouldnt hurt any of the small inhabiants I wouldnt think.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would say the majority of members here keep plecos in their tanks. With that being said most people keep the dwarf plecos and the smaller species. The most popular pleco species on here is the bushy nose pleco they are great in planted tanks and there are many different types ranging from calico to albino to starlight with a variety of fin lengths as well.

Once and a while you'll see a sailfin pleco or something but they aren't very suited for planted tanks.

How big is the tank you might move this guy to?
-Andrew

·
Registered
575 Posts
Agreed. My first pleco purchase was an uninformed one about 6 years ago. Really the main reason I've kept upgrading my tanks, from 15 to 32 to 86, and to the 180g in which my 13inch common now resides. Not a good choice even in a big tank if you want to keep anything other than the hardiest of plants. He eats any new growth unless he's totally satisfied with what I feed him, and will uproot most stem plants. Although a common won't hurt any of its tank mates, a Bristlenose would still be my recommendation in most planted tanks. Good at eating algae off of even the most delicate plants without destroying them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The OP isn't considering purchasing one, he already owns the pleco in question.

I have one about that same size in my 125. He doesn't do any more harm to the plants than the cories, who mostly root around and dig up the younger or shallow-rooted plants. I do make sure I feed him zucchini and algae wafers. If the cories or SAEs try to get at his algae wafers, he lays on them. :) He loves his tank and enjoys swimming along the same "paths" between the plants every day, as if they are streets.

Go for it. :D

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
It would be at your own risk. Some plecos will leave plants alone completely, others will think that they're in an all-you-can-eat salad bar. And if they get scared or surprised, big ones are very capable of ripping plants to shreds by thrashing around the tank. But again, it all depends on the personality of each individual fish.

I work at a pet store, and I've personally seen a common pleco that was 30" long from nose to tail. IMO they're a bad choice for planted tanks, but like Laura said, there are tons of other pleco species that are far more appropriate.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had a 10 inch pleco (juvi. commom) in a planted tank - NEVER AGAIN. It uprooted everything and was attacking other fish and stealing their food. I couldn't even imagine a full grown one in a planted. And to top it all of, they are even "good" looking.

Currently have a Gold Nugget and a Peppermint pleco. Although they hide a lot, their beauty also enhanced by the fact that if you do glimpse them, the aw factor is there. Mine have not caused any damage to plants. I do have a baby common pleco. Came in with a batch of feeders. It was about a 1/4 inch when placed in the tank. I think I saw him the other day. Once he gets larger, he is either going into the pond, of donated to one of the LFS's. That is as long as he survives......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts