The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm replacing the lighting on my tank, and am selling my 1.5 yr old Tek light.
I would like to sell the light as a package along with the extra bulbs, and other Tek light stuff I have. I need to do a full inventory of my bulbs, but I think I have something like...

1) Tek 54watt x 6 bulb fixture - black - two power switches (one switch for outer 2 bulbs, another switch for the middle 4)
2) The cool "Grip-Lock" hanging cables and ALL hanging hardware
3) The in-the-box standard (less cool) hanging brackets
4) At least 8 bulbs of varying levels of use. Mostly a mix or 1000Ks, 6700Ks, and Planta bulbs. 2 Planta bulbs have never been used, and a number of the bulbs have only barely been used because I swapped them out after low usage. And because I generally run the light on only 2 bulbs - the other 4 get almost no use.
5) The extra splash-guard, which is worthless IMO, and you don't want it really. But I have it.​

I have an outstanding potential that lives close by. That keeps me from having to ship, which is nice. But I'm looking for best offers.

Please PM me with offers if interested. I will not respond to offers in this thread. But I will answer questions about the package here.

You pay shipping. I'm zip code 06880 if you want to try to calculate it.

I will accept Paypal, money order, or a cleared check. I will not ship until I have I have cleared funds. I'm reasonably well known around here, so I don't think you have to worry about me stiffing you. But you have to decide that. :icon_wink

Pls send me a PM, with an offer, if interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't you need to post a price, per forum policy?
I've read the stickys. It wasn't mentioned there. Is there somewhere else where I would find that policy? I have no intention of violating policy.

So please do advise where I would find that. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bulbs

I mentioned in the original post that the bulbs had a good bit of life left. I went back today and researched my usage patterns (yes I track that, and I post about it here), and I inventoried my bulbs. Here is what I found in terms of hours of use for each bulb.

It's not 100% accurate. But it's pretty close. And obviously, I know which bulb is which - yes, I label them if I swap them out - so I know what I've got for bulb life left in any given bulb.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW - While it is contingent on my receipt of some paypal funds, the light and bulbs and stuff appears to be sold!

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it about 70-80 lbs with everything boxed up to ship?
Nooo... I'd say all boxed up it can't exceed 30 lbs.

But it's probably a moot point. I'm expecting for this to be sold any minute now. Paypal funds are on their way in. Again, thanks for looking, but I think it's sold.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The deal fell through. I spoke too soon. Sorry. :icon_frow

OK. So now I'm tired of f*rting around on this... I'll take $300 for the bunch. You still pay shipping.

·
Registered
189 Posts
PM sent...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possible deal killer?

I've got multiple interested parties. And I WILL sell to the first one I heard from (you know who you are). But I've run into a snag that might be a deal killer - shipping cost.

I've checked UPS and Freightquote.com. And any real quote is insane. Not the quick quotes mind you - the ones with zip codes and weight only. I'm talking about the ones that get into package size, location type (residential vs. commercial) and sometimes even freight class - the ones the shipper will actually use to calculate cost.

Even if I assume an impossible package size for the light - like 2" larger than its 48x2x16 dimensions, the shipping charges are wicked expensive - multiple hundreds of bucks.

Doe anyone know something I don't... about how to ship something like this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I shipped 8 offshore rods to the Texas coast in a 7 ft long tube that weighed about 40 lbs. I think it cost about $40 to $45 by ups ground. Take it to the UPS store instead of trying to estimate by the website.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Milkdud. That's a great link! Bookmarked...

It lead me to DHL, which had much lower prices than UPS BTW. But there was NOTHING ANYWHERE on their website about making a claim for a damaged shipment - if such should happen.

I called DHL and it seemed pretty clear - you don't want to get involved with a claim with them.

But fortunately for me, my buyer was willing to go UPS, and I didn't have to sweat that one. :icon_wink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts