The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howzit going everyone. Got a bunch of RED ROOT FLOATERS that are over taking my outdoor pond. I'm offering a snack ziplock bag full of Red Root Floaters for $14 shipped. They will be packed in a small USPS priority box.

Please IM me if interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Those red root floaters are super cool. But, how fast do they grow? Will they totally take over a 54g tank in a short time (i.e. duckweed!) or could they float around for a while and only have to be reduced every few weeks? I want to reduce the light in my tank just a bit, and some floaters could do the trick but if they are out of control that might not work :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've only had mine for a week, but from what I see, they can be fast growers. However, removing them should be easier than removing duckweed.

IMO, I don't think floaters are the best way to filter light. They almost completely cover every hole at the surface, reducing light penetration significantly.

To filter light, I find the best way is to let some stem plants grow floating. Something like Hygrophila sp. 'Tiger' works best for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Those red root floaters are super cool. But, how fast do they grow? Will they totally take over a 54g tank in a short time (i.e. duckweed!) or could they float around for a while and only have to be reduced every few weeks? I want to reduce the light in my tank just a bit, and some floaters could do the trick but if they are out of control that might not work :)
They much larger than duckweed and way easier to remove if wanted. I've yet to hear of a red root floater plague.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.