The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not really making any money off of this. The $5 covers the high grade capsules and padded envelop for shipping (Osmocote costs me about $28+ tax at the local nursery and I haven't factored that cost in). Have tried sending them to friends in small boxes and cardboard sleeves but they never arrived in good shape - so switched to padded.

While it's not technically a random act of kindness, there's no real profit, you're just paying for materials. I've had a ton of success with these fert caps and want to share them with others. Already create tons of them for my personal use.

I found cheaper mailers that still protect the goods! So I can cut $1 off the price until I run out.

• 25 Osmocote Plus Fertilizer Gelcaps - Size 00 for [STRIKE]$5[/STRIKE] $4 shipped
  • 50 - [STRIKE]$9[/STRIKE] $8 shipped
  • 75 - [STRIKE]$13[/STRIKE] $12 shipped
  • 100 - [STRIKE]$17[/STRIKE] $16 shipped

I use about 5 of them per square foot of planted tank space and they last me 3-4 months in larger tanks, 5-6 months in smaller tanks (under 10gal) that only have HC and hair grass. Your mileage may vary a bit.

Interested? PM me.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! Wish I'd posted this sooner.

The forum has been a wealth of learning and knowledge for me for years. Hope to be able to provide more items like this at little or no cost soon.

Have rescued a bunch of cherries (and you know how they breed) over the past year and hope to RAOK them soon, once I know the next generation is healthy.

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, kinda like root tabs.

I've had no luck keeping rooted plants in sand so I can't speak from personal experience.

Honestly, though, I think Osmocote Plus is best used in dirt-like substrates that are a couple inches deep. I tend to push the caps all the way to the bottom (touching the glass) so as not to have too much Osmocote seeping out.

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since a few have asked, here's my cost breakdown:

• $30.71 for Osmocote Plus
  • I buy the gelcaps in bulk (10K per order - I use them for my own vitamin reg and for a finicky dog) so can't really factor them in. Maybe 2-3 cents per cap?
  • Mailers are about $1 per
  • Shipping ranges from $1.92 - $3.12, usually

So it's safe to say you're getting a really good deal.

Today's shipment went out this morning. If anyone orders today, I'll ship out again tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.