The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I got a large amount of java moss from a fellow member about a week ago. I brought it home and it sat in it's container for a day, then I rinsed it in tap water and tossed it into a bucket with some treated water. It's been sitting in that bucket just open, only ambient light since then until I figure out a creative way to use it.

Well just now I brought it over to set it next to a grow light to make sure it's doing ok and I found a tiny baby fish darting around at the surface?! I don't know how it survived but I want to try and save it.

I have a breeder box/net set up in my community with some small RCS. I moved my shrimp into this tank but wanted to keep the babies safe until they get bigger. Would the fry be safe in there or is there a chance the shrimp would go after it? Some of the RCS are 1/4" or more. The breeder has moss and IAL in it right now and it's on the end of the tank away from the spray bar.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm trying to find out what the fry could be right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found another one! I might have to set up a critter keeper and drop all the moss into it!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
249 Posts
As far as I know it would be safe because I always keep one ghost shrimp with my fry in a breeder net so that the shrimp eat the extra food. I have never had and deaths.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. I'll put the two I've found in the breeder net and then put the moss in an unused 5 gallon with an airstone to keep an eye out for more.

I ground up some nice flake food in my mortar and pestle so hopefully the fine powder will be enough for them other than the little copeods and whatever else is on the moss and IAL.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It sounds like you have a good plan going. The fry are likely to be in good shape even with the shrimp. They come ready to avoid problems once they are free swimming so the shrimp are not likely to get close enough to grab them if they are alert at all.
I have found the net boxes to be a problem when kept in a tank with larger fish. I put a group of fry in and they seemed to just die and i would find tiny little bodies floating around. Watching carefully I could see the larger fish spotting the fry and sucking them into their mouth. They were not able to actually eat but killed them when trying!
I now use the plasstic woven material from craft/hobby stores. It is meant to be used for yarn projects. Comes in various opening sizes at around a dollar or two. I cut and sew it together with monofilliment fishing line to most any size box.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So far so good! The little ones made it through the night in the breeder net.

Picked up some Hikari First Bites today. The big fish get a little crazy when I feed in the breeder net so I have to give them a little too.

The fry stay away from the sides of the net and I tied it up nice and tight too so I think they should be safe in there from outsiders, as long as the Amanos don't crawl over anyway!

I moved the moss into a 5 gallon I recently broke down, no new baby sightings so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts