The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these natural fish? Walmart had some (haven't seen them in a while), and they were pale pink and pale yellow. Are these dyed fish also, or is that natural coloring?

·
Registered
234 Posts
all ''fruitloop tetra'' are dyed, infact there no such thing , there white skirt tetras dipped in bleach? to remove the scales then are dipped into dye.

pain full ide say. they come in every colour

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all ''fruitloop tetra'' are dyed, infact there no such thing , there white skirt tetras dipped in bleach? to remove the scales then are dipped into dye.

pain full ide say. they come in every colour
I did not think it was natural. Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Are you sure they remo've their scales?? I can't imagine them living very long without scales. Not even long enough to get to the pet store.

·
Registered
234 Posts
apparently. that what i heard i work at the lps. i dont know they are tuff.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are you sure they remo've their scales?? I can't imagine them living very long without scales. Not even long enough to get to the pet store.
Not scales, mucous membrane/slime coat.;) It can be done via the use of acids. The other is injection. Very unethical.

P.S. How come I get hooked to answering threads about dyeing?:icon_lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not scales, mucous membrane/slime coat.;) It can be done via the use of acids. The other is injection. Very unethical.

P.S. How come I get hooked to answering threads about dyeing?:icon_lol:
How Cruel!!!! I bet the "natural" fish is beautiful, and they go and "stain" it. Glad it is not like the Easter chicks that people buy for their kids...kids get tired of them, so they donate them to chicken farms, and the adult chickens kill them because they look different!

Don't buy Colored Easter Chicks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Actually the natural fish is silver to black. They're a white form of the black skirt. And erm, I'm guessing a hard sell in their white state (so why breed them I wonder). There used to be a local chain that carried them dyed blue and purple. The purple ones were called <gack> Purple Rain tetras. Can't remember what fantastical name the blue ones were called. Man, if you want a colorful fish, there are tons of livebearers and dwarf cichlids that fill the bill.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, if you want a colorful fish, there are tons of livebearers and dwarf cichlids that fill the bill.
We are going to get "neon blue" gourmies (don't think that is the correct name, but were labeled that at the lfs), "fire red" gourmies, red barbs, and just a mixture of all different fish. It's the people that don't know the first thing about fish that find the "man made" colored fish attractive.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
Lately I've been seeing fish with magic marker hearts or dots or whatever drawn on them at the big LFS. And people buy them and even think it's natural.

Makes me sick.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lately I've been seeing fish with magic marker hearts or dots or whatever drawn on them at the big LFS. And people buy them and even think it's natural.

Makes me sick.
Well at least that does not hurt them?! People are so crazy, they would buy anything right now!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
first off. the fish are tagged this way because not everyone (for example) want a synodontis multipunctatus , they want a catfish and couldint give name or know what the latin name is. and the ''magic markered fish'' are tattood.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well at least that does not hurt them?! People are so crazy, they would buy anything right now!!!
Whether it is dyeing, mutiliating or tattooing, it still hurts. Deathbydyeing.com has clarified that even fish can feel the pain but we do not see them feel this as much we, humans, do.

Have a read further on all details in the link Skabooya posted and you'll learn everything about dyeing, tattooing and mutiliating.

·
Registered
720 Posts
oh oh oh i also read an article where they tested to see if fish felt pain from injecting style dying and they attached electrodes or whatever to a cichlid and monitored its stress levels. When they started jabbing it with the tatoo needle its stress levels went up and continued to go up for the duration of the experiment. Now this is a big fish they injected, imagine a teeny weeny little tetra being impaled with the same needle. OWWIE! Now imagine an acid wash to remove the first layer of mucous so that dye can be absorbed better into the fish. Thats like using a cheeze grater to scrape off our first layer of skin so when we dunk you in a tank of dye it will take better. mmmm i bet it feels good. Common guys we can be an all natural blue man group.
Sorry i just had to be silly > mid term season. But the article part is true. I did read that. I did I did.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The people that do this to fish, must like the pull the wings off of butterflies also! (just kidding)...people will do anything to make a quick buck...even if it is at the expense of a small defencless fish!

·
Registered
15 Posts
they're selling these in singapore. the fish is marked with the chinese character "luck" , complete with lipstick. poor fish

"happiness" and longlife

for the chinese new year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts