The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I figure I should probably do this proper and start a journal for my ADA-Mini-M re-scape. Entitled, REDUX This tank was set up with driftwood and lava rock prior, in this thread. this time around I've opted to try an iwagumi layout. I've always been fascinated with them. And of course I take my inspiration from Amano AND lots of folks from this message board. Anyway, i've settled on the rock placement and got some great feedback in the Aquascaping section, you can read that here. As you may or may not know, I suffered some seriouos damage to my home from Super storm Sandy and I am just now finally able to start up some tanks again. Now that most of the work is done, I am able to dedicate some time to keeping tanks and pursuing my goals in aquascaping.

So here is the latest from today. I was done with work early and finallly got around to planting. I am dry-starting for about 1 month or so, so that the HC can root.

Flora:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Staurogyne repens
Eleocharis acicularis
Echinodorus tenellus
Moss(hitchhiker)
Algae ;)

Lighting:
Aquaray Mini 400 65K.

Filtration:
Eheim 2211

Fauna:
Either, boraras urophthalmoides, microdevario kubotai or boraras brigittae
Amanos and ottos

DAY 1

This is it. 12/29/13

·
Registered
819 Posts
frroK's ADA Mini-M REDUX !

Finally planted!!! +1 love staurogyne repens!
So you don't have to use any thing to cover on top when doing the dry start method. Im new to this.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Finally planted!!! +1 love staurogyne repens!
So you don't have to use any thing to cover on top when doing the dry start method. Im new to this.
Hey-- Thanks! I really like staurogyne as well. I didn't get a chance to use it in my old scape. But now I can. I took the photo before I covered the tank because otherwise it would get too foggy and the pic wouldn't have come out too well.

I just used Saran Wrap and covered the top tightly. I open it every day for gas exchange. And it needs to be as humid as possible but not complexity wet. Otherwise you'll get Cyanobacteria! Learned that the hard way

·
Registered
819 Posts

Hey-- Thanks! I really like staurogyne as well. I didn't get a chance to use it in my old scape. But now I can. I took the photo before I covered the tank because otherwise it would get too foggy and the pic wouldn't have come out too well.

I just used Saran Wrap and covered the top tightly. I open it every day for gas exchange. And it needs to be as humid as possible but not complexity wet. Otherwise you'll get Cyanobacteria! Learned that the hard way
Thanks for the detail:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out my old thread. This light works well. Although, I did have an issue with red plants. So you may want to take heed.

Everyone else, THANKS! :D
Hey Frrok, can you elaborate on this? I have the same light and while my plants are very healthy and growing, no plants are showing any red.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So here is a 5 day update: I am seeing considerable growth already in the HC. the staurogyne is pretty much the same. I do have more of both plants and I'm thinking of adding more to the plant mass. Hopefully it we speed things up. Plus, I somehow accumulated alot of plants. And I kind of need to get rid of some. I will most likely RAOK them soon, locally.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hey Frrok, can you elaborate on this? I have the same light and while my plants are very healthy and growing, no plants are showing any red.
Well from my research I believe the reason for this , is that these lights have less blue and red in the spectrum. They may spike in more of the green spectrum. But Im just hypothesizing based off of researching forum posts from various sites. I have yet to see a spectrum chart on this light. It would probably be worth contacting TMC. I emailed the company that I ordered the light from and they suggested that I add more iron! Which was a bit insulting, since I was dosing EI. Another issue I had was that not only was my red ludwigia not red but it melted as well! Yet moss and green rotala was thriving!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here is a quick update a closer up shot. The HC is spreading. But I did experience some melting. A quick google search and I got some info. Some people had luck with airflow during photosynthesis. So I open the saran wrap a bit when the lights are on. I replaced most of the melted HC with some that I have growing in a separate container emmersed.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts