The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just recieved my "hard to kill" package from Aqua Botanic today - frozen solid by the frigid New York weather we're having! The water in the bags was literally ice. Once they thawed out, they didn't seem that much the worse for wear. I phoned Robert and he seems to think they'll be OK. What do you guys think? I'm hoping they really are hard to kill!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks frozenbarb, that's real kind of you. If you've got some plants to spare, I'll gladly take some:icon_smil I'm on the Upper West Side.

·
Registered
695 Posts
yup it has been cold in ny when i got my crypts on wednesday the tissue in the bags that they were packed in was freezing but not solid ice luckily

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2nd day now. Many of the leaves are blackened, and the crypts don't look too good. I guess we'll see...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
a lot of crypts and bulb based plants will melt, simply due to being re-rooted in a new tank.
they are hearty plants, just remove any soft plant debris and it will snap back in a Month or so.
many find that using root tab fertilizers under the plant base may accelerate the recover process.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Cut the leaves off of the Cryptos and plant the rhizomes up to the crowns. See what happens. They just might make it.

The rest of the plants? Toss the stuff that is obviously bad and float the rest for a while. Some parts of the plants may still be viable and could throw off shoots. I had some Ludwigia sp. "Cuba" arrive in a big snowstorm in frozen condition. I floated the parts of the stems that looked good and managed to save the plant.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all.

I have cut all the bad leaves off everything. There are still one or two leaves on each crypt that look ok, so I've left those. The java fern doesn't look great, but I'll leave it to its own devices. Ian, I'm not sure how long the box was on the sidewalk, I got it from my super. I suspect it could have happened anywhere though, because there was no insulation in the box.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry to say but I don't think your plants are going to make it. Ask Robert for some help or some kind of refund?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I received some plants from AquaiumPlants.com via UPS. When I picked up the shipment, despite their being a label on the box saying DO NOT FREEZE" the plants were all frozen. Every plant died. I tried to save some of them that didn't look to bad, but within a week they were done. You take a chance with them polluting your water as they desintigrate as well. Made a heck of a mess with my tank. I'd just cut your losses and not take the chance.

I've got to give kudos to Mark at AquariumPlants though, he never charged me for them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
thanks for the info spypet some of them are losing their leaves but they still seem alive i think i will buy some root tab fertilizers.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would talk to Robert and see what he will do. You paid for healthy plants, not an icecube. It shouldn't be your job to try to revitalize plants that took a beating in shipping because of improper packaging or shipment methods. I have had good luck with Robert in the past. I think he will oblige.

·
Registered
974 Posts
agreed with overfloater

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'll probably do that. He seems like a decent enough guy. This time I'll just ask him for plenty of insulation!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just spoke to Robert and he's going to resend the order, this time with foam insulation and a heatpack - free of charge. I agreed to split the shipping with him. So, thumbs up Aqua Botanic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts