The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for the "right" vinyl film that ppl used for the back ground.
after years of thinking about a FW aquascape to go with my reef tank. I am finally going it!

but I have having troubel understand what vinyl film that ppl use for the back ground to give the depth?

I purposely got a clear silicone and no overflow/black background like reef tanks have, but now I am stumped on that to use. I thought it would be really easy to source it.

IDK I thought about one of those fancy LED light screen I found a ADA knock off for 1/2 the price but i think I would rather spend that cash on plants.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, yeah you don't want the sticky kind. The window film is basically static cling but you use water to apply it. It goes outside the tank, not in the water. It will stay on until you peal it off. Works really well.
yeah that one is static cling. I think i will try it. alot cheaper than the ADA one.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you're open to alternatives, you could try a spray-on treatment. They sell it in most home and garden stores as a frosted window look, usually meant for the windows on doors. I used it to give my acrylic tank a frosted background.

Packing materials Gas Box Shelving Carton

Green Product Shipping box Shelving Packing materials

I only did 2 coats, but you can get a more opaque look by doing multiple coats.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well **** that is the one I ordered. IDK I hope to have red stem plants back there to so maybe it will be Ok?

I have tried a few. This one worked a treat:

Amazon.com
I did see that one but I did not care for the texture. wish I could see this stuff in person. I guess if I hate the one above and and order this one.

If you're open to alternatives, you could try a spray-on treatment. They sell it in most home and garden stores as a frosted window look, usually meant for the windows on doors. I used it to give my acrylic tank a frosted background.

View attachment 1035641
View attachment 1035642

I only did 2 coats, but you can get a more opaque look by doing multiple coats.
I did see that that option around on the web. but decided not to mess with it on my nice new rimless tank. it I dont like planted tanks I'll turn it it to a SW sea horse tank. so I wanted to keep it easy.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am sure i'll have a tom more questions and i'll post an update and maybe even a build thread.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It wasn't the background. It looked great, I just didn't like the look in person so to speak as opposed to pics. You may like it . The background wasn't difficult to apply and can be removed.

Reactions: underH20garden
1 - 11 of 11 Posts