The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard 120 that I am thinking about converting to a planted tank. I want to reuse my lighting fixtures and, if possible, the bulbs.

I have 2 250w 20k Radiums and 4 54w T5s (2 ATI B+ and 2 aquabluw 12k) I also have some 10k aquasuns I could use in lieu of any of the other T5s.

1. Will these bulbs work well enough in a planted tank or should I replace some/all?

2. Do I need all this light or could I do away with some
- Just the halides
- Just the T5s
- Halides and 2 of the 4 T5s

**I do have pressurized C02 if needed

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a standard 120 that I am thinking about converting to a planted tank. I want to reuse my lighting fixtures and, if possible, the bulbs.

I have 2 250w 20k Radiums and 4 54w T5s (2 ATI B+ and 2 aquabluw 12k) I also have some 10k aquasuns I could use in lieu of any of the other T5s.

1. Will these bulbs work well enough in a planted tank or should I replace some/all?

2. Do I need all this light or could I do away with some
- Just the halides
- Just the T5s
- Halides and 2 of the 4 T5s

**I do have pressurized C02 if needed
is that a 4' 120G? if so get your co2 ready and use 2 MH , you will be all set . you will not need all that light for a 4' tank since there's no any sps/lps in there ( dont you missed it) :) run all of it it just bump up your electric bill . if that's me , my wife will kill me when she see the bill lol. heck i still think you can get away with just all the T5 ..is your Mh and T5 retro?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Look at my 65 (florida inspired link), I'm only running 2 x 39w T5. I've never set up a 120, but I bought 4 bulb Tek Light for a 110 and plan on starting it with only 2 bulbs @ 108w total. I'll kick one more on at a time if it doesn't suffice and I doubt I'll need to upgrade further than that. Plants don't need nearly as much light as corals.

Run the CO2 either way. If you don't feel like growth is fast enough, you have all the other lights you can add one at a time. If you start right off with high light, you run a greater risk of starting a long lived algae war.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts