The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first set up my tank I got a bunch of echinodorus amazonicus. 3 months afterwards they are taking over the tank and growing gorgeous but am definitely going to have to take out some of them.

I am setting up a second tank (55 gal) to house a Silver dollar a friend gave me (and for obvious reasons couldn´t keep in the planted setup).

I was thinking on planting the excess echinodorus in that tank (3 plants), and if the fish eat them, so be it (I´m getting more silver dollars to keep company this loner).

I don´t want to do all the pressurized co2 setup I have in the main tank, only willing to supply a 40 watt lamp and few ferts...

You think the plants can do OK in this system? They have grown considerably in my hi-tech setup.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAHA those are good answers, guess I won´t worry about it. Interestingly, I put one of the swords I took out from the main tank with him into the QT tank (actually for him to feed). He hasn´t touched a single leaf :) that´s why I was thinking maybe they didn´t like echinodorus salad! He loved a little clipping of hygro and a dead crypt leaf though

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've seen those swords grow in light that low, so if the silver dollars leave it alone, it will probably be ok, just slow growing. My sister in law has one in a ten gallon tank that rarely gets any light on it other than through a window across the room, and she has it just in gravel, and doesn't take care of it at all. (I'm not sure how all the fish she has in that tank survive, with no water changes in over a year!) It fills the whole tank so you can barely see around it. So, you're probably good.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, the worse that could happen is that I loose the plants, I guess. I have a ton of them already taking over my main tank, so if they just stay the way they are now they will look fine.

If they become silver dollar food I guess tough luck... it´s really not my purpose to keep another planted tank, but to keep the dollar happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts