The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started looking into aquascaping back in late October of this year. I was mesmerized by the beauty and small ecosystems created and inspired to try it myself. I used to be a degenerate options gambler on the market. I decided to break away from my addiction for a new one as I became obsessed with aquariums. I watched hours of MJ Aquascape and other YouTubers, and also read this forum extensively to learn what I would need to do, and started purchasing, slowly but surely, everything I would need for a proper tank set up. I can't wait to see the progress, I am sure it'll be a wild ride given my inexperience. Here is the initial hardscape:

Wood Pet supply Fish supply Gas Aquarium

The substrate is Fluval Stratum and Caribsea eco complete. Also some inert gravel and fine sand. The hardscape is spider wood (boiled for a few hours) as well as Seiryu stone and some slate.

Have added some Neopremium lilly pipes and a large tree in the middle of the gravel bed

I have been watching the parameters given the Seiryu stone calcium leaks, but with the co2 on a schedule it seems my pH hovers slightly softer between 6.4-6.7 to counteract the alkaline bump

Here is the planted tank as of yesterday. I was super excited to finally get started after staring at a dark aquarium for a month lol

Pre fill up:

Plant World Nature Botany Pet supply

Post fill up (definitely had some moss floating, but not too bad. Ended up setting it up in some cracks in the foreground left rocks.
Also ended up with a ton of bubbles in my back vinyl, any recommendations? I try to squeegee to no avail, may just replace it in due time since my initial application was pretty bad

Water Plant Vertebrate World Organism

Plant list so far (definitely went overboard on the # of species but I love the initial look) There are some great holiday deals at Aquarium Plants Factory FYI for anyone in the states

Groundcover Grass Font Plant Flooring

The lighting is 1 FLUVAL 3.0 and a hygger on Amazon that came with great reviews
The Hygger is set in 24/7 mode and the Fluval 3.0 settings are as follows:

Water Atmosphere Water resources World Nature

Given this is my first go.. my Co2 is on an FZONE regulator to save some cost. So far so good... the diffuser is the co2 art bazooka. Currently running 3-4 bubbles per second
I have it on a smart plug to coordinate with the lights to come on 1 hour before and shut off an hour before the lights go out. I also have a sponge filter in the back corner that is timed to turn on after lights out overnight until the co2 kicks on in the AM to help get some more surface stimulation

The main filtration is a cycled 207 fluval. I have a sponge in one of the chambers from a 10year old tank that has been cycling in there since the beginning of the darkstart. Kicking myself for not getting the 307, should I consider an additional filter for more current? Maybe like another 207 or a 107? It seems the plants have a slight movement and I think I have the deadzones covered for the most part.

I am also looking for any information on fertilizer methods. I plan on keeping this light cycle and potentially upping the intensity after some plant growth so I know algae chances could be high. I figure since the substrate has cycled for a month I should start considering fertilizing sooner than later

Currently, no livestock, but have 20 blue dream shrimp and a half dozen nerite snails on the way this weekend to help with the initial algae bloom. I plan on looking at small schooling fish as well at my LFS this weekend. Taking any and all recommendations regarding livestock to help really make the tank pop as well as any thoughts on other cleanup crew members that could help battle the inevitable algae.

I will be sure to update this post as time passes. Any tips are highly appreciated! Thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also due to the long wait on the dark start, I developed a multi-tank syndrome and bought a nice 10 gallon for my beta.. It is one of those Glo-lite full package deals with the HOB filter and some blue/white LEDs. The purple you see is a UV for my house plants since this is a dark room, I am a little worried of algae growth due to the UV for the plants hitting the tank, but 3 weeks in not too many problems as of yet..

He's happier than can be with his new setup. Still tons of work, gotta straighten out the heater, get a background etc... I figured as my plants grow in my main tank I may take some of the low maintenance additional growths and add to this one

Water Plant Fish supply Natural environment Organism

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Multitank syndrome continues... had to get my other betta a bigger tank so he wouldn't be jealous of his neighbor in the apartment above... my 5 year old insisted on the blue octopus in the below tank so of course I had to add it. Water is cloudy off a fresh water change and some new gravel..

Water Plant Green Light Botany

Also my main tank is finally scheduled properly and the co2 is distributing and holding a lime green drop checker... added a second fluval 207 to increase flow and cover a deadzone and now the mist of bubbles stays low throughout the bottom of the tank. Here is an updated pic:

Water Plant Pet supply Organism Aquatic plant

The only issue has been my myriophyllum which melted quick. I replanted it near the co2 diffuser. I have high light, but not really sure what's going on. Only plant I have seen with issues so far but it is still early...

Also added a school of Cardinal tetra, 10 blue velv shrimp, 3 mystery snails, and 4 cory catfish. I added 4 otos and sadly I believe my tank, though being 6 weeks old, wasn't established enough to hold them? It was devastating lol... maybe the temp is too high? My parameters seem to be alright with a slight drop in PH during the co2 phase and around 6.8 after the co2 period... temperature is around 76-77 degrees

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a pretty nice setup! I had toiled with low tech setups for years, and after burning through money screwing it up all the time I decided to hit the forums and read up everything I could to master the hobby, including getting the equipment right when I decided to start a tank from scratch. It feels pretty satisfying to have everything you need right away doesn't it?

Anyways, the temps seem about right. I can't make it out in the above photos, but how do you have your intakes/outflow set up to move the water around?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pretty nice setup! I had toiled with low tech setups for years, and after burning through money screwing it up all the time I decided to hit the forums and read up everything I could to master the hobby, including getting the equipment right when I decided to start a tank from scratch. It feels pretty satisfying to have everything you need right away doesn't it?

Anyways, the temps seem about right. I can't make it out in the above photos, but how do you have your intakes/outflow set up to move the water around?
Most definitely is nice to start off with essentially everything I needed.. I have a very supportive wife I should say lol

I have one set of lilly pipes on a the back right with flow to the back left, a spongfilter with an air bubbler in the back left corner and the second 207 that is pumping towards the front left. My co2 in the front left is misting the bubbles across the front of the tank... so I am assuming good flow so far. I was definitely worried given all the hardscape and next to maybe the "tunnel" under the large rocks, I am hoping not too much deadzone

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Wow. That is a way to introduce yourself with five initial post on a forum!

Welcome. You will learn alot. Will be fun to see ultimately what has more success... your high tech 36 rimless or your low tech betta tanks. (I'm teasing... but I will admit my 'quarantine' tank looks as good as all of the high tech tanks in my main section.)

Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. That is a way to introduce yourself with five initial post on a forum!

Welcome. You will learn alot. Will be fun to see ultimately what has more success... your high tech 36 rimless or your low tech betta tanks. (I'm teasing... but I will admit my 'quarantine' tank looks as good as all of the high tech tanks in my main section.)

Peter
Thanks Peter, happy to be here. Very useful information so far. I am intrigued also to see which fairs better over time. I love my lowtech betta tanks. What do you recommend for a quarantine tank? I have an extra 2 gallon I had for the betta originally with filter and all.. just basic substrate? I am guessing it is used for both new fish and plants?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome and tanks look great. As for the bubbles in the background, if you have patience, take a sharp pin/needle and punch a hole in each one then squeegee it away. Usually works but tedious and time consuming. I don't have any substrate in my qt tank. Fish don't care and plants can live without it for a quarantine period. Keep up the good work and good luck on your addiction change. We all have the one you are exploring now....lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome and tanks look great. As for the bubbles in the background, if you have patience, take a sharp pin/needle and punch a hole in each one then squeegee it away. Usually works but tedious and time consuming. I don't have any substrate in my qt tank. Fish don't care and plants can live without it for a quarantine period. Keep up the good work and good luck on your addiction change. We all have the one you are exploring now....lol
thank you for the tips! I am loving this and might be a little hyperfixated on it. I tend to always check my tanks repeatedly, considering adding a camera so I can watch from work hahaha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added a 107 Fluval with a spray bar above my CO2 diffuser on the left side of the tank facing downward. The bubbles have great flow now across the bottom and circling back from the 207 lilly pipe on the back right corner. My java moss is brown, only deficiency I am noticing so far, and I have a few diatoms but nothing else seems to be popping up as of yet. I am fertilizing heavily and have a strong light cycle based on Bailey Pascoe's videos.

Could my java be jammed too tight? I thought for sure that the java would be one of the easiest, but it is giving me some headaches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts