The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continueing saga of my assasin snails-
First I was worried something was wrong when they buried themselves in the sand, nice people here steered me in the right direction with that!
Now they've gone friendly on me-not assasin like at all! They back down if they come in contact with a shrimp, they roll right over seed shrimp, and don't give the pond snails their supposed to eat a second glance, in fact all these other critters typically hitch a ride on the assasins and cruise the tank with them. The first night I added them they each ate 1-2 snails but now darned if I know what their eating because it sure isn't snails or shrimp!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well then I'm going to have to watch and find out what that "something easier" is-there doesn't appear to be anyone missing-baby shrimp and seed shrimp everywhere! In fact I'm going to have to start selling some there's so many!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
its not a fast measure to remove them. they eat one and take some time before it eats again. it really takes a couple months once they start breading and you have a greater number of them is where you will see them being wiped out.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've never kept them, but am thinking of getting a couple. Everything I've read states that they will eat a snail and digest it for a couple days or even a week. Kinda like a snake. So they won't just kill and kill and kill. Assassins are patient!

Oh, and, btw, where did you get yours? I think I just want two.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your input-since I've never had them before I guess I expected them to eat continuously like alot of other snails. It's all good, I'm learning alot about them and their behavior.
I got mine from AquaBid, there's several there now, but I think there's some listed on S&S here and some on AC or used to be anyway. Oh, and I saw some on eBay as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.