The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i have a 33 gal freshwater tank that is somewhat planted and it houses balloon mollies and a bunch of guppys..now my balloon mollies (and ocassionally guppies) seem to get random diseases..this month i lost 2 balloons to a internal parasite (looked very thin and kinda sickly, white poop,research says this is what it was?) anyways while researching my mollies "conditions" it says i am having these random and frequent health issues beacuse i keep them in 100% freshwater and not brackish..ok well this does make sense..salt is good...buuuuut i am a bit worried i have never done anything but freshwater before and dont know how to convert my tank. will my plants be able to survive brackish waters? and my guppies? all of these fish have never had anything but freshwater and i dont know what the efff im doing.i dont want to lose anymore fish!! and to be honest im sick and tired of having to look up what is wrong with my fish every couple months..i feel like a bad fish keeper :(

i should also say my water quality is good a ph of 7.5, 79-80'F and i use activated carbon filters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
guppies should be fine in brackish, provided they are introduced slowly. Not all plants can grow in brackish, the ones that usually used in brackish tank: anubias, anacharis, hygros, java ferns, water sprite, crypt, hornwort, bacopa, pigmy chain sword, cabomba, hairgrass, sagitarias, banana plants, red myrio, and vals CMIIW :)

check out this page, it has quite alot of info
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.