The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I'm currently in the design phase of a 29 Gallon freshwater sump for a 75 Gallon display tank. In the large sump chamber where much of my bio-media will reside, I'm considering adding an Aquaponics tray with floating plants to assist in reducing Nitrates in the water.

I would appreciate any comments, concerns or tips anyone could offer.

Thanks!
Fred

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmmm....looks like sumps might be making a comeback into freshwater, which is great.

What are you keeping in the 75 gallon tank? Or is this more of a "for the piece of mind I get from plants sucking up all the nitrates/phosphates" thing? Can you show us your sump design and where you want to put your plants?

Depending on placement/light, it might be more beneficial to instead do a faux-hydroponics tray, using LECA and something like pothos or monstera (really any aroid), since they require a bit less light.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why do you want to reduce nitrates in your tank? I have a sump along with a fully stocked tank and I add nitrates daily to keep it in the 15-20 ppm range.
If you are building a fish only tank it makes sense, otherwise its not necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.