The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if anybody on here had a stingray tank or have had one before. i know they might be illegal in some states i think

i have had some when i had my 125 salt tank but no experience with freshwater

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
just curious if anybody on here had a stingray tank or have had one before. i know they might be illegal in some states i think

i have had some when i had my 125 salt tank but no experience with freshwater
We usually always have one or two freshwater rays in where I work. Typically Motoros, Floridas, and "teacups". They are cake to take care of IMO just keep them feed well. They LOVE blackworms.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i believe they are illegal in Texas thats why they are hard to find. they are illegal in cali but there are a few stores that have them from time to time.

one of the fish that are on the list to own but unless i move i am out of luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not for beginners or anyone on a budget (time or money). Also not great display animals. They are very sensitive to water conditions, eat like starving hyenas, and are extremely active. This is a recipe for massive, frequent water changes. If you get that right, what are you going to do in a year or two when they get BIG? Way bigger than you can stuff into a 24" wide tank.

My group of motoros (species most commonly kept) used every inch of the 72"x56" footprint and still eventually outgrew it. When I had half a dozen rays all 20"+ (14"-16" discs), I was doing 80% water changes every 3 days to keep water quality in check. They were pounding half a pound of food per day (~$100/mo on food for the good stuff). I sold them to a guy who had (2) 800 gallon tanks, and last I heard, they were breeding. I will give it another shot someday, but go with a much larger tank and auto water changes next time around.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
ya thought so also..sucks

guess i gotta order online lol they prob wouldn't sell it to me anyway. guess i have to start a salt tank again
dont see how trying to get illegal fish is funny. most wont risk their business to sell a couple illegal stingrays.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Very neat setup!

Not for beginners or anyone on a budget (time or money). Also not great display animals. They are very sensitive to water conditions, eat like starving hyenas, and are extremely active. This is a recipe for massive, frequent water changes. If you get that right, what are you going to do in a year or two when they get BIG? Way bigger than you can stuff into a 24" wide tank.

My group of motoros (species most commonly kept) used every inch of the 72"x56" footprint and still eventually outgrew it. When I had half a dozen rays all 20"+ (14"-16" discs), I was doing 80% water changes every 3 days to keep water quality in check. They were pounding half a pound of food per day (~$100/mo on food for the good stuff). I sold them to a guy who had (2) 800 gallon tanks, and last I heard, they were breeding. I will give it another shot someday, but go with a much larger tank and auto water changes next time around.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Rays are absolutely the bestest! I'm working on a big 10' tank for them. Slow progress but I'll get there. The best part about them, is you can train them to be hand fed. That is awesome. But caution..if you don't know what you are doing....don't do it. Experience is an absolute must.

Booger put it right on the maintenance part. Must be spot on. While his tank looked nice, I would highly recommend having a sand bottom.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My LFS has loads of large ones that outgrow there owners, it is certainly an animal that LFS's should be more restrictive to who they sell they too due to size... similar to common plec's.
But very cool if you can adequately house them for their whole lifespan :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont see how trying to get illegal fish is funny. most wont risk their business to sell a couple illegal stingrays.
ya was a joke. wasn't being serious. i'd just start up a salt tank if i really wanted one

awesome looking tank!!! :icon_lol:
Rays are absolutely the bestest! I'm working on a big 10' tank for them. Slow progress but I'll get there. The best part about them, is you can train them to be hand fed. That is awesome. But caution..if you don't know what you are doing....don't do it. Experience is an absolute must.

Booger put it right on the maintenance part. Must be spot on. While his tank looked nice, I would highly recommend having a sand bottom.
hope you start a journal!!
My LFS has loads of large ones that outgrow there owners, it is certainly an animal that LFS's should be more restrictive to who they sell they too due to size... similar to common plec's.
But very cool if you can adequately house them for their whole lifespan :)
yea i agree. they are awesome creatures!

·
Registered
700 Posts
it's pretty surprising that my lfs here in south alabama has them...well at least they get one in at a time after each one sells.

I would like one, but I don't have the time or money for one. Stingrays are awesome in general

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
it's pretty surprising that my lfs here in south alabama has them...well at least they get one in at a time after each one sells.

I would like one, but I don't have the time or money for one. Stingrays are awesome in general
lol, my LFS in Indiana ( The one I work at) Has four rays in at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.