The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great shots. I am particullarly fond of the one with a closeup on the cherry shrimp eggs. I also love your shots of the green shrimp, I find them so beautiful. You having luck breeding them? I heard they take longer to deveolope into adults than other dwarf shrimp. I really cannot get over the picture of the red shrimp with the eggs, if the quality was a bit crisper, it would make an excellent computer desktop :) None the less amazing, i love the body position of the shrimp.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I wish you could make the pictures smaller. Its hard to view...

Why did you make it this big anyway? You could make the picture look 10x better by sharpening the shrimp only and resizing the whole picture. At high resolution a decent picture looks blurry and bad.

Otherwise those green shrimp look cool.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish you could make the pictures smaller. Its hard to view...

Why did you make it this big anyway? You could make the picture look 10x better by sharpening the shrimp only and resizing the whole picture. At high resolution a decent picture looks blurry and bad.

Otherwise those green shrimp look cool.
I uploaded them to imageshack and resized them using imageshack as well. I don't have time to mess with photoshop atm. Yea the pics were way too big before, I dunno what I was thinking. :) Also, please don't forget that I just got this lens a couple of days ago so I am still getting the hang of it. More skill to take good shots than I thought.

-Ryan

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What camera setup are you using? great macro's
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I am still trying to get the hang of this lens. It is kind of tricky trying to take moving 1" shrimp and at the same time not move the camera itself. Remember that any tiny bit of movement, either with the camera or shrimp, will throw the macro shot into blur land.

I am using a Canon 10D DSLR Body with the Canon 100mm 2.8/f Macro Lens. It will take me a little while to get the hang of macro photography.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
It is kind of tricky trying to take moving 1" shrimp and at the same time not move the camera itself. Remember that any tiny bit of movement, either with the camera or shrimp, will throw the macro shot into blur land.
Please tell me you are using a tripod!?! Consider using a remote cord as well in order to reduce camera movement during exposure.

You need to work on depth of field. None of those pictures captures a whole shrimp sharply (many have half a shrimp). Do whatever you can to increase lighting so that you can crank down the aperture and get a decent depth of field. With macros, depth of field is measured in mm's, and everything you can do helps. Increasing your ISO might help too, but watch out for noise problems.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please tell me you are using a tripod!?! Consider using a remote cord as well in order to reduce camera movement during exposure.

You need to work on depth of field. None of those pictures captures a whole shrimp sharply (many have half a shrimp). Do whatever you can to increase lighting so that you can crank down the aperture and get a decent depth of field. With macros, depth of field is measured in mm's, and everything you can do helps. Increasing your ISO might help too, but watch out for noise problems.
Totally agree on everything. I need to get a macro ring light, and the remote cord. I am using a tripod though. I have only had this lens for 3 days and am still trying it out and learning how to use it. It is totally different than other zoom lenses, obviously.

Anymore advice that you have please give it to me. Do you recommend the ring light? Is there a better method of flash? Trust me I am not satisfied with the shots I have taken so far, I have seen way too many better shots from others taken with the same setup.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I use Nikon, so I don't know the Canon models at all, but ring light flashes are like $400+ !!! I'd also be worried about glare off the glass. I bet they work perfect for flowers and jewelry, but not so sure about aquariums.

Have you considered a remote flash above the aquarium? That might be the best bet. Certainly cheaper @ ~ $100-150. Aquasaur has his method posted, you could do worse than do what he does and still be fine! I think he uses buttloads of T5's and a remote flash above the aquarium.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a landscape photographer, not macro. ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use Nikon, so I don't know the Canon models at all, but ring light flashes are like $400+ !!! I'd also be worried about glare off the glass. I bet they work perfect for flowers and jewelry, but not so sure about aquariums.

Have you considered a remote flash above the aquarium? That might be the best bet. Certainly cheaper @ ~ $100-150. Aquasaur has his method posted, you could do worse than do what he does and still be fine! I think he uses buttloads of T5's and a remote flash above the aquarium.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a landscape photographer, not macro. ;)
Ahhh, ok :) I will talk to Aquasaur. His macro shots are amazing to say the least.
Thanks though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Some shots of my Bamboo Shrimp in my planted 40 gal. All shots taken with a Canon SD-630 on macro... the better shots without a flash and holding REALLY still. The first two (reddish guys) have been in the tank only a week less than the darker guys. Maybe its their diet, but the older guys are getting some crazy blueish colors to them. Cool guys! Love these little garbagemen!

·
Registered
274 Posts
yOU SHOULD NOT NEED A FLASH Hope im not to late but i will be glad to help you brighten up your day without a flash let me know. there are settings on your camera that will let in more light No no no flash on the glass..........................................................................

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually a flash helps greatly. Ever seen Paradise's photos? They all had flash. You just need to position the flash on the top of the tank and not on the glass.

Flash makes it so that we can get pictures of the shrimp STILL and not blurred at all. You can even catch them swimming. Too much compensation for dark light would make the photo noisy or blurry due to the shallow depth of field.

Flash makes it so we can take very detailed noiseless photos that show the whole shrimp in focus.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm taking photography class I hope to get better in photography and perhaps live off of it (but it would be REALLY hard). I love photography.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.