The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 500 dollars to spend on a light. My tank is 24 x 24 x 13. Bottom of sandbed to top of water is about 9 in. I am looking for a light that will grow whatever I want to put in the tank. Dimmable,sunrise/sunset, timer would be nice. I am having a hard time finding something that works. If it was saltwater np. I can find all kinds of lights. I have a 120 gallon reef tank I am setting up. Have done a couple saltwater tanks. I tried a finnex and it was way to much light. I only have a couple inch above my tank to pace a light. It killed the plants it was so bright. Thank you for your time and any suggestions.

P.S.- if I don't need to spend 500 bucks I am cool with that haha!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cheap lighting that is not dimmable (there is a timer that is sold seperately) haven't tried it myself but was considering buying for one of my tanks:
Amazon.com : Beamswork LED Pent 24 0.50W Timer 6500K Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 60 cm : Pet Supplies

Also with the finnex at least the planted plus 24/7 I believe you can turn the light intensity down (I'll include a link in case):
Amazon.com : Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 24 Inch : Pet Supplies

There is little reason to spend anywhere close to 500$ on lighting for a tank that is only 24X24X13.

Also to note is that 24 wide by 24 deep or is it 24 long by 24 wide
If it is deep you are fine with those lights if you are going for lowlight (look into 1w or 3w beamswork for medium and high respectively)
If it is 24 long by 24 wide then you will likely need 2 light fixtures spaced evenly on top of the tank to get the necessary light spread (probably a requirement though I am sure someone way better at the lighting word will be able to diffinetivly say so)

Those options I mentioned are just LED options and there are plenty of other options out there such as T8 T5's just look into it.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
$300 2 panel DsunY
Radion xr-15fw and Kessil fw will all work. All about the same price point and form factor for a 24" sq. tank..
All the other strip lights are a bit "short" in the depth dept. but w/ the shallowness of your tank raising them to cover the 24" f/b is an option.
24/7 is a one program trick pony..though it can be configured and used on a separate timer..

All these strip type lights can be hacked to use a tc-420 programmer timer for at least a ramp up/down timer control, though no easy color adjustments..

The Fluval plant 2.0 is another controller based option. As is the Current planted plus pro.
Also Marineland planted. No ramp up/down I believe but at least a timer and dim capability..
Amazon.com : Marineland Aquatic Plant LED Light with Timer, 48- to 60-Inch : Pet Supplies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.