The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am about to get another 10gal for my aquarium rack and i decided i want a freshwater puffer. I was really keen on getting the figure-8 puffer but seems people cant decide what its water pref is best (fresh or brackish), or anything else for that matter. I saw life expectancies anywhere from 5 to 20yrs, i also saw water hardness' all over the place, temps all over the place... can i get some real info on these guys?

In the event that they are a brackish species, what other puffers would be a suitable replacement species that would do okay (by themselves) in a 10gal planted? any help would be awesome, thanks in advance!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
These guys will get rather big for a 10g, IMO they need a 20g. From what I hear, they are almost like mollies. They can live in fresh, brackish, and plain 'ol SW.

I see your from Renton, I am from eastern Washington, but be sure to go to the september GSAS meeting!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
figure8s adapt very well but do best in brackish to sw, though they arent that bad in fresh, however a good alternative and better fit for the tank size is a pea puffer[dwarf puffer] although not as astounding to watch eat they are still very awesome fish to see in a planted tank, and are so so cute for vicious little fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.