The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
From what I can tell, everything is considered illegal until otherwise stated. I couldn't find any inverts on Maine's list of approved wildlife.

If you are looking for shrimp, just buy them online. I would be cautious buying snails as they can be very invasive.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
a very good rule of thumb is that all Crayfish are generally considered invasive, as well as mystery snails.

what i understand is that if it is not specified on the banned species list then you are okay to have it. just remember that if it is a pest in you tank, it will be a pest in the wild, and you should go above and beyond to prevent it from getting out.

i spent about ten minutes searching for maine, and all i found was mystery snails, and almost every crayfish i could think of (and couple i didn't know of).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I appreciate you guys looking into it for me. I have snails and shrimp and I didn't know if it was legal to sell or trade them here.
I think it's a little strange that they would be illegal because I don't believe most tropical snail or shrimp species would survive very long in the wild here if people were to "release" them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ran into this same thing. One pet store had shrimp (looked like a RCS variant) but he wouldn't sell them to me. He said something about selling them being illegal but he didn't elaborate. Very strange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.