The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did some research on the weird little spore things I have in my 5.5 gallon rcs/snail tank and found out it was freshwater hydra, I know my shrimp fry will be the only thing in danger, if shrimp fry ever occurs. I have several berried females, I was wondering if it was safe to take all shrimp out and snails and do a 100% w/c as well as a tank scrubbing and attempted cleaning of plants as well as a substrate change? I do not want hydra in there, its kind of cool looking but on the other hand I want my fry to live as much as possible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
They are a pain to get out, they cling onto everything very strongly. What people use is something called Safeguard, its a dog deworming product but works great on killing planaria and hydra. You can get it over the counter at petsmart

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still want to change my substrate to something more suitable lol. It's only a temporary tank for my shrimp. Anyway if it try safeguard how do I dose it?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
They are a pain to get out, they cling onto everything very strongly. What people use is something called Safeguard, its a dog deworming product but works great on killing planaria and hydra. You can get it over the counter at petsmart
my Petsmart said I needed a prescription, so i went across the street to petco and safeguard was hanging on the shelf. I went back into Petsmart and showed them I didnt need anything but money! :) I showed themmm!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
1 gram per 10 gallons. The chemical you are looking for is Fenbendazole. Sold in Safeguard as well as others.
I think one gram per 10G is alot. I used 1/5th of one package of safeguard on a 40B
And you used the 2gram pack, which 1/5th of 2 grams is 0.4grams, divided by 40gallons equal 0.1gram per 10gallon. 1 gram would be insane. lol.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I just got some flubendazole to treat a few tanks that have these critters in them as well. Was told to use 1/8 tsp/10g of water by volume. So with a planted 10g and a couple inches of substrate, it would be a little less than an 1/8tsp. The person I got it from assured me it's safe for all critters with the exception of my Briggs. :( I'll have to move them for awhile before and during the treatment period.

I have one tank that has some nice planaria in it as well and curious about dosing for them without adversly affecting the shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Nope, it safe for shrimp if you follow the dosing guidelines we said above. For hydra, some suggest dosing, do a small WC 3 days later and do one more dose. Normally 1 dose is good for planaria, 2 does spread as I said for hydra.

I just dosed mine today and everyone is fine and that includes my crystal tank with SS, SSS, blue bee, as well as S/S+, A, C grades in it, so if I didn't trust people on here, I would have had hundreds in dead shrimp. lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright Thanks everyone! johnny313 is sending me some Safeguard so i'll be able to do that soon. All I have are some ramshorns and rcs in the tank now. I tried to get rid of all the pond snails. I did end up changing the substrate. I'll have to take pics of my tank tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Alright Thanks everyone! johnny313 is sending me some Safeguard so i'll be able to do that soon. All I have are some ramshorns and rcs in the tank now. I tried to get rid of all the pond snails. I did end up changing the substrate. I'll have to take pics of my tank tomorrow.
Make sure you grind up the powder as fine as you can and mix it in a little cup of tank water. It helps spread the dewormer throughout the tank as it is REALLY insoluble.

It is also completely safe for shrimp as my first dose I did not grind it up and saw several red cherries EATING the powder pellets. Nothing died either haha >.>

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Make sure you grind up the powder as fine as you can and mix it in a little cup of tank water. It helps spread the dewormer throughout the tank as it is REALLY insoluble.

It is also completely safe for shrimp as my first dose I did not grind it up and saw several red cherries EATING the powder pellets. Nothing died either haha >.>
I used very hot water and it seemed to help disolve it a bit. Then I drew it up in the plastic syringe thingy that came with my Tetra testing kit through a piece of cotton to not get any particles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So I need to break out the mortar and pestle? lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.