The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
looks like a rhinogobius species. a lot of them are unfortunately undescribed.
this one looks like Rhinogobius duospilus, a female...you should consider yourself lucky. female rhinogobius are hard to come by....now to find the male. best of luck!

taken from google

the males:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Do you know the area it was collected in?I agree that it looks like a rhinogobius or something more obscure...

·
Registered
559 Posts
i was actually going to save these for another thread, but what the heck, i'll share a pic or two here...

here's a related species, rhinogobius zhoui

male(s)

female

unlike the stiphodon, the fry do not require a brackish/saltwater phase for their development and grow in freshwater their entire lives. they get up to 2-3 inches in length and have large appetites. do not place them in shrimp tanks as they will OBLITERATE your colonies (yes, i learned this the hard way) and they will also eat small fish such as microrasboras (yes, learned this the hard way too).

as said before, they will eat anything and everything they can put inside their mouths. and appreciate high flowing water and a rocky/sandy type substrate where they can create caves for spawning nests. oh that reminds me, they love to dig and destroy your hardscape--make sure your plants are well established or they will be floating up if the gobies see it fit, likewise, that perfect arrangement of rocks and sloped gravel? forget it. they also like cooler water, so an unheated tank will do fine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i was actually going to save these for another thread, but what the heck, i'll share a pic or two here...

male(s)

female

unlike the stiphodon, the fry do not require a brackish/saltwater phase for their development and grow in freshwater their entire lives. they get up to 2-3 inches in length and have large appetites. do not place them in shrimp tanks as they will OBLITERATE your colonies (yes, i learned this the hard way) and they will also eat small fish such as microrasboras (yes, learned this the hard way too).

as said before, they will eat anything and everything they can put inside their mouths. and appreciate high flowing water and a rocky/sandy type substrate where they can create caves for spawning nests. oh that reminds me, they love to dig and destroy your hardscape--make sure your plants are well established or they will be floating up if the gobies see it fit, likewise, that perfect arrangement of rocks and sloped gravel? forget it. they also like cooler water, so an unheated tank will do fine.

How pretty , where did you get them?

I think I read about them in TFH but not sure if it was that type.

Do males hate each other like saltwater gobies?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. My LFS said that it came in a bag of sand loach from HongKong. This little guy is really shy, I only get a glimpse of it about twice a week if Im lucky, the rest of the time it just hides in the thick bush of java fern. so far it seemed to enjoy live black worm.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

male(s)

female

Our LFS got a shipment of rhinogobius zhoui in........ they were 40.00 / each!!!!

They had sold a couple of them, but not many. very nice little fish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.