The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a community tank with Neo culls, Cories, Black Neon Tetras, Least Killies and some Kuhli Loaches. Everyone gets along really well, though I know most of the shrimplets are snack food. But I have been recently noticing more and more that my female Neos (sakura and PFR culls) are acting as cleaner shrimp and cleaning the Cories. I have noticed it a few times now and the shrimp is persistant and the Cories are tolerant of it. It could be just one shrimp that has developed this habit as I have not paid that much attention.

Maybe this is not unusual, but I had not really seen any mention of this type of behavior so I thought I would bring it up and see if others have noticed this.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Shrimp naturally pick at things in the tank. If it's stationary, shrimps would crawl on it and pick at it and if they find something edible, they would stay and pick at it. My shrimps pick at my hand when I'm doing tank maintainance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not surprised that are doing it, was just curious if others have seen much of this.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I've seen my shrimp riding ramshorn snails around, assassins and even an oto let one clean him for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
hahaha.....I've noticed a lot of weird things when sitting and watching my shrimp, especially my whisker shrimp. Those guys are hilarious. They don't bother anyone, they just like to steal food. When my cories are hanging out on the bottom, the shrimp will climb over them like a speed bump. Fun to watch, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My Amano picked up one of my ponds snails and was spinning it like a basketball while cleaning it!

I wish I had video. Dizzy little snail!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
This behavior largely depends on the host as my panda cory would allow shrimp to get on its back for a while but my pleco would swat them like pesky mosquitos. Lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lol, Yepp, my neos LOVE riding snails. They all attempt to clean the ottos too.

I get them cleaning my hands every now and then, it tickles so much! Lol

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was pretty surprised that the cories were putting up with it as I imagine there are no dwarf shimp where they come from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts