The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There are thousands of aquatic insect species that resemble tiny caterpillars (including a few actual caterpillars). If the darn things didn't have a tendency to fly out of the tank when they mature, I think we'd all be trying to get them!

How big are yours? They sound interesting.

OOh just thought of something to do with my vacant tank (if I decide I don't need to keep the spouse).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thousands and thousand of species of insects...most of the flies, many beetles, neuropterans, caddisflies, etc...

But not salt AND fresh. Relatively few insects live in saltwater (especially not ocean). Mosquitoes are freshwater and while a few species tolerate brackish water, they really aren't saltwater critters.

I think it's a good bet to say that just about no wormlike critters, larval or otherwise, survive in both salt and freshwater.

Anyway, easiest way to identify your larvae is to let them mature and capture the adults. Adults are MUCH easier to ID!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.