The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after weeks of waiting for all three pieces to come together the new tank is up! still a few items left to address, but overall I am very pleased. I decided to keep things more simple and not create the jungle I had last time. I still want to fill in some areas but not sure with what, contemplating some kind of carpet plant? other then that, I want to keep with broad/ flat leafs on most the plants. I am cultivating some red ludwiga on each end, the open space behind the jungle Val is also going to have a rock cave type thing I hope to get done this weekend. let me know what you think and maybe some possible ideas?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had asked about the actinic before because I do like the way it makes the tank look. I was told the 460nm would be ok, if I do change them out, probably go with some giesman

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually type this message from my desk at the home office haha :D

Yea I was going to spray paint it, then didnt feel like doing that. Probably will get some posterboard. Doesnt get much easier then that :)

Any recomendations on a carpet type plant?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Any recomendations on a carpet type plant?

Honestly you will probably have to go with the easiest. Most carpet plants begin in the DSM, at least those that have success with it.

marsilea minuta is your best bet. I would also get a BUTT LOAD of Vals for the back.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Tank looks great, love the swoopy wood. Not sure it is going to be less of a jungle this time either, happy sword plants take up a lot of room!

I still haven't gotten tired of hairgrass. I would think something super tiny like HC would get lost in this sized tank with all the large leaved plants. What about Staurogyne repens or Marsilea? They have broad leaves if you want to keep to the theme. Marsilea is dark and Stauro is bright and light. Or try Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides or glosso to make mounds of small leaves. Suspect Stauro would be the lowest maintenance as you just prune the tallest stems and it should resprout. Marsilea and hairgrass get pulled up and replanted every so often in my tank anyway. And H. sibthorpioides is an unknown yet, it is just now deciding whether it has accepted my tank's conditions.

You can just cut a black plastic bag open and tape it on. I had one on my tank for 10 years until I finally got tired of the shiny fold lines in it. Was just going to replace it with another dark background but decided I liked the depth of the tank with no background at all and organized the equipment and cords so there isn't anything but the overflow box showing on the back of the tank.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tank looks great, love the swoopy wood. Not sure it is going to be less of a jungle this time either, happy sword plants take up a lot of room!

I still haven't gotten tired of hairgrass. I would think something super tiny like HC would get lost in this sized tank with all the large leaved plants. What about Staurogyne repens or Marsilea? They have broad leaves if you want to keep to the theme. Marsilea is dark and Stauro is bright and light. Or try Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides or glosso to make mounds of small leaves. Suspect Stauro would be the lowest maintenance as you just prune the tallest stems and it should resprout. Marsilea and hairgrass get pulled up and replanted every so often in my tank anyway. And H. sibthorpioides is an unknown yet, it is just now deciding whether it has accepted my tank's conditions.

You can just cut a black plastic bag open and tape it on. I had one on my tank for 10 years until I finally got tired of the shiny fold lines in it. Was just going to replace it with another dark background but decided I liked the depth of the tank with no background at all and organized the equipment and cords so there isn't anything but the overflow box showing on the back of the tank.
Thank you, that driftwood actually came from a local lake :) spent a good month cleaning it. Was well worth it! Actually going to go on another driftwood hunting expedition this weekend... well hopefully!

I will have to check some of those out, I guess I should specify it doesnt need to carpet the whole tank, but some low height plants here and there, so the little clumps sound like a good idea.

On the Jungle Val, not a big issue, get the CO2 hooked back up and that stuff grows like mad! Heck even without CO2!!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Love that driftwood, and the use of the swords - one of my favorite plants.
Also, I couldn't resist chiming in to say hello once I read you're at Home Office. I work in store 2762! lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tank looks great, and the plants definitely look better than mine since moving them to the 105 I just got. Almost all of mine melted, although, I did keep them in a bucket for a few days then threw them into a hot tank. Was that tank freshly planted, or plant acclimation already through, or what? Either way it is a really great tank and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hunter, dont tell on me for being on here at work! lol. Thank you all for the comments. The tear down of my 55 gallon and the setup of this 125 all happened in one night. So far I have not had any issues with plants melting, a few of the jungle vals broke, but not a huge issue and the amazon sword leaves have curled slightly but nothing extremely bad. I have done a couple tank moves, even 2 tanks into 1, best thing to do is to make sure and use as much of the original water from the old tank as possible, that way it affects your fish and plants more like a big water change then a whole new enviroment :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
i use window shade/tint for the back of my tank FWIW...really like it. i'm scheming for a 75G or 90G next...gonna go the same route. more $, but i like the semi-transparency of it.
That is what's on the back of my tank and. I like it alot and think it's nicer than having the back painted. Good luck on your upgrade scheme. I was elated when mine worked out:hihi:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.