The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a pictorial reference for my new planted tank :icon_mrgr:

the filter

I picked up a 5lb aluminium CO2 bottle. I was going for a larger tank but being concerned about total height with regulator, I opted for the smaller volume. It should still last plenty long.

· The Circumloctioner
1,332 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the bulb, it is an aquamedic 13kk. I'll be sure to give the bulb a good burn in before I decide how well I like it.

Today is build the stand day. I live in an apartment and have next to no tools, so... I bought a $30 circular saw. Its pretty quiet and cuts nicely... 3/4" playwood and I'll frame it out with 2x2s.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will be completely boxed out with 2x2s. It's already exceptionally strong. With the scale of the picture it's hard to judge the rigidity, but its high grade 3/4" plywood.. many times over stronger then pressboard used on most stand like ADAs.

One more cup of coffee and I'll get to work. I'll be using a miter box to cut the 2x2s. That was the major reason I chose 2x2s, because I knew I was going to be hand cutting them. Cutting had to be kept to a minimal.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One problem I had to deal with was setting the hinges. They needed to be routered out to allow the piece to lay flush.

We have Dremel so I bought a little router bit for it and kinda freehanded the holes. Not exactly shapely holes.. that thing is pretty torquey with that bit! lol. But they are plenty large to allow for any sort of adjustment I would need.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
How are the sides attached to the top and bottom?
I originally planned on framing in to bottom as I did the top, but I was getting tired of sawing and was already impressed with it's strength. I will sleep well at night, it is solid!

The top is where the major bracing/distribution is. Behind the front face strip, around the top. Alternatng 2" screws down the uprights, in the corners... its good.

Today I will hang the doors, 1 more coat of paint, drill tubing holes etc.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.