The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fruit fly culture going, and it produces way too many fruit flies for my 2 tanks. I've been freezing them, but there always seems to be moisture so they'll clump together a bit. Has anyone else tried freezing fruit flies and had success with keeping excess moisture out?

This is Triton, a super delta tail.

Flaring:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bettas didn't seem to recognize fruit flies as FOOD. Freezing them should be find though. You might try doing it on a baking sheet like you do berries so they don’t clump.
He loves fruit flies, but the live ones are a little more work as they "walk on water" until they're tired, then he can eat them easier. He noms down the frozen ones in no time! I have some freezing on a paper towel right now to see if that helps. For the most part, I think its the moisture that gets in the container while I'm feeding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure a betta would eat fruit flies. Before I have fed dead flies to my Oscars and it didn't fit there platter ended up having to net them out after a few hours.

·
Registered
430 Posts
try laying them out between paper towels, then roll it, wrap it saran and freeze immediatly

EDIT - Assuming they are dead......This would be hard otherwise.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Whoa, I can tell that's a quality betta.

The excess moisture is coming from the air in the bag you store them in. I don't think there's a way around that unless you vacuum pack them but then they'll get squished from the pressure.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yea... not! It was the best looking one I could find at Petco. The caudal fin is not symmetrical, but then again I don't know much about Betta standards.
I had a feeling you got it at petco. They do sell good looking ones once in a while. The rays in the tail is nicely defined.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got my first betta (a crowntail) at Petco a few days ago. They had a lot of beautiful specimens though most didn't look all that healthy. I'm quite pleased so far -- quite a nice personality! He follows my hand around fearlessly when I'm doing stuff in the tank and he explores every inch of his 29G. Unfortunately I suspect he's going to eat the RCS I have coming tomorrow, but so it goes.

Anyway that's neither here nor there. I've been feeding him fruitflies pretty much exclusively (and quite a few as he looks scrawny). He loves them. I just trap them in a cup on the countertop (they're endemic during the warmer months around here) and freeze them for a few minutes to stun them, then pour them in the tank. Pretty easy.

You're not going to avoid the moisture when freezing I think. A paper towel along with them in a ziplock bag might take up some of the moisture but they'll still be soggy when they defrost.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts