The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brine shrimp hatchery, and I thought about freezing the leftover bbs for later. I started trying to net them out and washing them into the tray with distilled water but it was taking a long while. I got the brilliant idea to siphon them out with a turkey baster and had them in the freezer before I realized--do I want full ice cubes of saltwater dissolving in my freshwater tank?

How do you freeze your baby brine shrimp?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I don't freeze mine. It either all gets fed out, or I reduce how much I hatch. You don't have to dose the full 1 tsp/2L that's recommended for soda bottle hatcheries. It's just what's most convenient.

If you're feeding same day, then I recommend just sticking them in a bottle of saltwater in the fridge until the second, third, etc. feedings.

As for freezing them, I'd recommend rinsing them, then backwashing the nauplii into a small container with water, and then freezing that mixture into ice cube trays or whatever. However, I'm not convinced that the standard freezer can handle freezing bbs, since you really want small ice crystals to prevent the cells from popping. I'm thinking of maybe filling a tray with bbs or similar foods, and then submerging it in dry ice to really flash freeze them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.