The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fill my CO2 bottle with praxair a national gas distrobution company. Now here is how I got my free air.

I went by to swap out my 20 lb bottle for a full one and to then pay. The lady made me wait for like 20 minutes then just said I'll put it on your account you can pay next time and I'll only charge you half.

Oh but here's the kicker... they were out of CO2 bottles so they gave me an "off-size" 25 lb bottle!!!

I'm so happy and now my fishes are too because I realised that my natural ph level is 8 with no CO2 when before I had my ph at 6.4 so I was using way more gas then needed. You see I haven't had much time to pay attention to my fishes lately so I didn't notice anybody breathing at the top.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
wait for like 20 minutes then just said I'll put it on your account you can pay next time and I'll only charge you half. Oh but here's the kicker... they were out of CO2 bottles so they gave me an "off-size" 25 lb bottle.
hmmm, I guess he's happy he got 5 pounds of Co2 for free; that's assuming they filled the tank, -they could have just given him the same 20 pounds in a 25 tank.
If they are giving you half off a refill for simply keeping you waiting, they are probably ripping you off to begin with, thus have plenty of profit margin left for goodwill.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Don't rely on the pH drop from 8 to 6.4 to tell you there is enough CO2 in the water. That test isn't accurate. Make or buy a drop checker if you want to know how much CO2 is in your tank water.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I weighed the tank then subtracted the tare weight and it's like 24.5 lb so I know I didn't get ripped off. I figure that I am going to need to test my gh/kh before I have a difinitive answer on where I need to keep my ph level at.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Drop Checker Dude

I weighed the tank then subtracted the tare weight and it's like 24.5 lb so I know I didn't get ripped off. I figure that I am going to need to test my gh/kh before I have a difinitive answer on where I need to keep my ph level at.
Listen to Hoppy, find his threads here and on barrreport.com on the drop checkers. You can't trust the test of GH/KH in your aquarium water against the PH to give you an accurate CO2 reading. The reason being that there are other things in a planted tank's water that change the KH, but the chart only works with one of those.

You can get a Red Sea CO2 Indicator for $9 at Amazon.com. Then make your own KH solution and you'll know for sure.

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts