The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find these guys a new home. They will go to whoever sends me the best pitch on why your tank/s is the best new home. Ie, you will put them in a nice tank (or tanks) and you'll try to keep them as healthy as they are now, and you'll give them conditions to breed the way they want to.

If you only want one pair, I am willing to separate the group.

They are great fish. I'm sad to part with them, but I need the space for a new project, and I can't give them the attention they need.

These 2 pairs of German Blue Rams lay eggs about every two weeks. Last week one of the batches of eggs hatched, but after about a week the fry disappeared. The same pair laid eggs again (over 100) about a week later. They only lay eggs on Amazon sword plants; they have shunned the clay pots and dishes I put in their 55 gallon tank.

These fish are living in tap water with a pH of 7.6, gH 6 and kH 5. They are kept at 80 degrees. None of them has ever had a disease or condition; they are healthy and active and fight fiercely for food.

Shipping is USPS express only - $30. I'll include the siamese algae eater in the bottom picture to whoever will take good care of him.

I would like to ship them Wednesday morning for Thursday noon delivery. If you can't be home for Thursday delivery, I could arrange to get them to you for Friday or maybe even Wednesday delivery if you act fast.

I'd like to find a new home for them by Tuesday midnight MNT time (ie, about 50 hours or so from now, depending on ship date).

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would love to have them. I lost my GBR pair to a heater failure years ago and have always missed them.
They could have a 20 gallon long planted tank and the extra female? can have a 29 to herself.
The Siamese algae eater would go into a planted 40 gallon long planted tank to group up with my 3 others. Love these fish too!
My ph is 7.6 so it would be an easy acclimation.
I promise to take excellent care of them. Regards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't take them, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to give them up. They're beautiful fish!

·
Registered
240 Posts
id like one pair for my 30 or 37 gallon planted aquaria i have sucsessfully bred jack dempsies and convicts and raised the babies to adult hood have all ways wanted a pair i love thier colors and how pieceful they are nevermind didnt read shipping was $30

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I would love them for my 55, but I already have a breeding group of 5. If I had the room I would take them in a heartbeat

·
Registered
721 Posts
i Currently have a 29 low light set up .... (no fish yet)

My Plan was to get a Few GBRs and make this a species Tank..

I also Have gold Rams in my 72 Bow tank

So if I do win, These Rams will gettin a Home that they can grow old together and make alot of babies lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 75g planted tank that is sparcely populated and a 20g that has just completed cycleing. I would gladly take this fish if they are still availible

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I had money for shipping, I would totally put these in the classroom tank I am setting up! But I don't think its ready and I never had good luck with SA cichlids.

Great RAOK! Don't forget to join the RAOK club!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all these replies! This was ABSOLUTELY the right bunch of people to offer my fish to.

Without further ado: The winner is Comet for

1) acting fast
2) having two tanks
3) loving the algae eater, too
4) having experience with rams
5) having the matching pH that they've been living in

Many, many thanks especially to fingfangfun (beautiful tank!), tinder, owens81jw, and everyone else.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Let's not jump the gun yet jbrady33,
Fantastic! Comet - how about a journal to let us know how they are doing occasionally?
Seems the shipper has had a run of really bad luck. She had been removing plants from the tank for the last few days or so and it seems that the small male GBR died the day before she planned to ship and two females were 'hiding'. One female did not look good, so she held on to it to prevent further stress to it from shipping. She guessed the dominant mating pair harassed them.
So the dominant pair and a female along with the SAE are on their way to me. Hopefully they will all do well! I am looking forward to receiving them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's the only thing I don't like about GBRs, other than a bonded pair, it's hard to keep a group. Sometimes it works, sometimes they're just too angry.

I had a male and a female that I thought were bonded.. I saw them swimming together and didn't really know any better, and the male ended up slowly killing the female just from the stress cause apparently he didn't like her. He never actually hurt her, just chased her away, but it got to the point where she stopped eating. I couldn't find her another home in time. :/

I think my tank was maybe too small to allow them room to set up separate areas.. Plus, these are bonded. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts