The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for you toddnbecka, LOL!
I promised not to resurrect "Is she saddled?", so this is an ending to that thread.

Pictures of my infected shrimp. I still am not sure what it was...parasite, or nerve stimulation. I found another forum and looking through their threads, came across a picture of a Ghostie that had the very same look. It did turn out to be a worm in this shrimp, and this shrimp did not make it.

Before picture of my Ghostie:

This was taken just 2 days ago:

The white ribbon is gone...never did see a worm in the tank except the nematodes. I still ck her and the other 4 daily. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it have been because of the bare bottom tank and the stress?
Not sure. I have seen other shrimp tanks with bare bottoms...Walmart keeps barebottom tanks, but why would only 1 shrimp (not mine) have the white ribbon and not all of them?...although that makes me wonder...mine did not show up until after her eggs hatched. If I have any other changes, I will post them...if not, this thread (toddnbecka...lol...sorry could not resist.)...will die. Anyway I am glad mine are doing fine now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
me thinks it was called a nematode, the worm in the shrimp that is. i've bought a lot of ghost shrimp with them in before and i ust put them in an aerated plastic bin for a while until they poop it out. shrimp's all better and nematode goes for the swirl ride in the bathroom

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me thinks it was called a nematode, the worm in the shrimp that is. i've bought a lot of ghost shrimp with them in before and i ust put them in an aerated plastic bin for a while until they poop it out. shrimp's all better and nematode goes for the swirl ride in the bathroom
I did have a MAJOR problem with nematodes during this time! They are harmless right?...that is what I read anyway. I am glad I did not kill her. My guppy fry kept eating these things...or at least the ones I could not catch with the brine shrimp net!

No more nematodes in my tanks now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It would be a good idea to isolate the shrimp until the worm is out, then dispose of the beastie. If the worm reproduces in the tank you may have more infestations. As long as the shrimp are otherwise healthy the parasites shouldn't kill them. (After all, they need hosts...)

·
Registered
517 Posts
i heard that if a fish eats a nematode, the nematode will burst out of the fish's side or stomach like those little buggers in the Alien movies.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There are many species of nematodes, but only a relative few are parasites. Most live on leftover food or other debris in the aquarium. Any non-parasitic types would simply be digested by the fish that ate them, but even parasites won't usually kill otherwise healthy hosts. There are exceptions, but in general a parasite that killed its host wouldn't be particularly successful in the long run...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are many species of nematodes, but only a relative few are parasites. Most live on leftover food or other debris in the aquarium. Any non-parasitic types would simply be digested by the fish that ate them, but even parasites won't usually kill otherwise healthy hosts.
Thanks for that info!...

There are exceptions, but in general a parasite that killed its host wouldn't be particularly successful in the long run...
You have a good point! Thank you for posting. I am happy to say that both of my tanks are nematode free at this time. I have been very careful to not over feed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts