The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was driving through Mendocino backroads this past weekend when I came to a screeching halt to scour a pile of dried roadside Manzanita. Score!

I took some finer pieces, most are thinner than a man's thumb, many are a bit thinner than a pencil. They are already cured, bone dry, no papery layer at all and zero green.

However the blonde coloration of the wood itself is not showing. It does still have that rust colored layer on the outside.

My question is: Does this rust-colored bark layer need to be removed for aquarium use? If so, how do you go about removing it from the thin twig pieces without a sand blaster? I believe using sand paper will not work on the delicate, thinner twigs, as they seem quite fragile.

Pics attached. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used a pressure washer on my manzanita wood that was quite delicate and it came out better than expected. Had to hand-sand a tiny bit to make it perfect. Picking it up off the ground for free beats paying a premium anytime in my book.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a pressure washer on my manzanita wood that was quite delicate and it came out better than expected. Had to hand-sand a tiny bit to make it perfect. Picking it up off the ground for free beats paying a premium anytime in my book.
Thanks Goodwood. Apartment living means a pressure washer / sand blaster is not possible. But if you have hand sanded it successfully, that might be my only option. I also may boil the sticks in hopes it might soften that layer and help with its removal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.