The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of my rainbows has about a dozen little white dots all over I can only assume this is the dreaded Ick rearing it's ugly head. I haven't added any live stock in about 2 weeks up till then nothing was showing any signs of Ick.
Well it sure looks like it's in there now so I've upped the temp to 84 (still raising the temp actually) other then that not quite sure what to do since I don't want to hurt my cories.

I remember there was some talk about treating Ick in here a while back but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Best way to clear your planted tank of ich in my experience is to raise the temperature to 86 degrees over a course of a few days then leave the temperature at 86 for at least a week. During this duration, keep the dissolved oxygen level up and watch your fish for signs of stress. Depending on what species of livestock you have in your tank, I'd advise against using salt. Anti-ich medications will most likely kill any invertebrates in your tank. Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so 86* is the magic # no problem I have 2 150 watt heaters so that should maintain the temp with little problem, as far as I'm aware salt is a no go with cories in the tank. Going to have to make a trip to the LFS to get some Methylene Blue not sure how my ghost shrimp will like it thou. well off to adjust the heaters again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
so 86* is the magic # no problem I have 2 150 watt heaters so that should maintain the temp with little problem, as far as I'm aware salt is a no go with cories in the tank. Going to have to make a trip to the LFS to get some Methylene Blue not sure how my ghost shrimp will like it thou. well off to adjust the heaters again.
Remove the ghost shrimp if you plan on dosing the methylene blue. Also, it might stain the silicone on your glass.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only problem with removing them is there is nowhere else to put them at the moment only have the 2 150w heaters nothing else my old tanks are still sitting deep in the back of the garage I can't see them but that's where I put them a few years back lol.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The first time I had ich, I went old fashioned salt and heat. The ich was never serious, maybe 1 or 2 dots on a fish here or there out of tons of fish... it actually took a long time for it to go away, the heat was high but not as much salt because I didn't want to hurt the catfish. I wanna say maybe 1 or 2 months. Not sure why it took so long.

The 2nd time, same thing..only a few spots here and there and I used Ich Attack... and it got better a lot faster. I didnt dose properly, I just glugged it right in the tank. Just my experience. One bottle split between a 20 and a 72 tank, and I didnt get to finish the whole bottle before it went away. Did not raise the heat either.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If its possible, isolate the one with ich, even if in a bucket. Treat in there. Run an airstone too. Ich strikes when a fish has been compromised and therefore made susceptible. Unless a majority of fish have it, there seems to be litte reason to treat the entire tank.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If its possible, isolate the one with ich, even if in a bucket. Treat in there. Run an airstone too. Ich strikes when a fish has been compromised and therefore made susceptible. Unless a majority of fish have it, there seems to be litte reason to treat the entire tank.
Tomonts, one of the life stages of ich, attach to surfaces all around your tank. Plants, wood, rocks, and substrate. If you have ich, you'll have to treat the entire tank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well after giving all the fish in the tank a good eye balling it's more then just the one rainbow with Ick looks to be about half the population in the tank have at least 1 spot on them a few have several spots looks like isolating any of the fish is a moot point at this point.
Temp is currently 84* and still slowly climbing, I was under the impression the cories don't like salt in the water at all.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
well after giving all the fish in the tank a good eye balling it's more then just the one rainbow with Ick looks to be about half the population in the tank have at least 1 spot on them a few have several spots looks like isolating any of the fish is a moot point at this point.
Temp is currently 84* and still slowly climbing, I was under the impression the cories don't like salt in the water at all.
They don't. You can add a little bit of salt to get the salinity up (1.003 SG) but I'd use just the heat method if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I know this is a little late, but it may help other people as well. Did you Q.T. your live stock before letting them run? If so how long did you Q. T. them? They should be quarantined for at least 30 days at over 75. A careful eye on them during this period to avoid headaches like this helps. I use to not Q T fish & would get lucky sometimes but more often than not I would get trouble!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ive been back in freshwater for about a year now and have only had one out break of ick and turning the temp up but I also soaked my fish food in garlic. Thats an ol trick I use to use when I had my reef tank. Turn the heat up feed your fish several times a day with small portions of garlic soaked food. Garlic boost their immune system

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.