The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this plant is more trouble than it is worth, grows like a weed and sheds all over my tank. Has any one else had the same experience with it?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Do you mean red foxtail? It's a stem plant and grows fast, but no faster than any other stem plant I have.
Isn't red foxtail the same thing as myriophyllum tuberculatum?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I had was M. tuberculatum, I could be wrong, the guy who sold it to me just called it foxtail. It wasn't red either.If I let it grow for a week, It would try to take over my 50 gallon aquarium. When I would trim it and move it from my aquarium it would shed and leave debris all throughout my aquarium.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about! I have it right now and it doesn't grow exceptionally fast but it sheds a lot and the leaves act like a mechanical filter. I think I will be pulling it out and giving it away.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I dont know about the other persons plant but I know for sure that mine is M. tuberculatum and I find it to be a very "dirty" plant.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I duno, I find mine to grow very fast, the fish love to hide in it, it doesn't shed for ME (well, the old growth does from when it was in a pet store) Though mine is green... otherwise it looks exactly the same. I find that if it starts to collect a bit of dust, I just shake it a bit and it all clears right up - it collects fewer pieces of grit than java or christmas moss in my experience. Perhaps my experience is not the norm, but I just thought I'd defend the plant I discovered recently... I almost like it better than my corkscrew vals...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts