The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a pretty big storm in Ft. Pierce, FL last week, and on Saturday I went fishing on the shore with a buddy of mine and his family. They caught a few fish, but I had no luck (other than damn bluefish cutting my bait fish in half several times). I stopped fishing and just walked the beach for a while, the storm pushed a lot of debris up onto the beach, lots of seaweed, and an 8ft wide, mile long row of just shells. Found some awesome chunks of conch shells, a beatiful 5" Atlantic deer cowrie shell, and a BA piece of driftwood! There was a lot more driftwood, but most of it was basically whole trees lol.

Pics (better ones coming, they are currently soaking in H2O2):

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Driftwood and Shells

Hello jed...

I'm guessing you're planning to put these pieces in a saltwater tank and not one with freshwater, right? Seashells will create all kinds of water condition problems if you put them in freshwater.

I'd toss the ocean stuff and look for rock and driftwood pieces around freshwater lakes and rivers if you want to aquascape your fresh water tanks.

B

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Hello jed...

I'm guessing you're planning to put these pieces in a saltwater tank and not one with freshwater, right? Seashells will create all kinds of water condition problems if you put them in freshwater.

I'd toss the ocean stuff and look for rock and driftwood pieces around freshwater lakes and rivers if you want to aquascape your fresh water tanks.

B
The driftwood is fine as long as he plans on boiling it for a while to remove all the salt/bad stuff. And I don't think the sea shells would cause any problems in a FW tank... I've seen them used all the time... Someone correct me if I'm wrong though?

Nice collection. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello jed...

B
The driftwood is fine as long as he plans on boiling it for a while to remove all the salt/bad stuff. And I don't think the sea shells would cause any problems in a FW tank... I've seen them used all the time... Someone correct me if I'm wrong though?

Nice collection. :)
They very likely will raise hardness.
Overstocked has it. When they begin to (ridiculously slowly) break down, they do release certain minerals that will raise water hardness, however, these shells are to be new homes for some African cichlids (just added 18x Jewel cichlids that were born & raised in stupidly hard water, all are fry from a pair that spawned and are happy and healthy), with loads of shale (a type of limestone) and sandstone rocks, so the hardness is already high, along with the pH, so I'm not worried at all about it. :)

As for the driftwood, it's far too large to boil (that's a 5ft shower/tub that they're sitting in), so I'm going to soak it with boiling water for as long as possible. I soaked it all in H2O2 for about an hour or so, so the shells are cool now, but the wood I'm gonna try and get a plastic tub from Walmart and soak it in there for a couple of weeks (along with more H2O2).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.