The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting some dojo loaches for a while now. Went into my lfs to get test kits and the guy had a few. Bought two who are in a quarentine tank and plan to get two to three more here in a couple weeks. Had thought about redoing my goldfish tank for them but I'm kinda hoping that they will feel comfortable with it as is. There's lots of hiding places and some open spots to dig if they feel like it. I'm putting in a 75g. Her's a pic View attachment 35113 I hope that the swords and crypts have dep enough roots to stay put but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Going to put some caves in behind that huge mass of java moss. Friggin stoked.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's awesome try and post some photos when they get settled in! Idk what temps dojo loaches prefer but is check just in case since goldfish prefer cooler water :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I keep the tank around 72 because I also have a couple br plecos in there and the goldfish don't seem to mind. I can't wait to see the loaches in the bigger tank. They are in a 10g right now and are being quite active. They ought to really enjoy the 75g.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
congrats on getting some really cool fish with character.
They actually like cooler water with the range topping out around 75ºF
Keeping mine with angels AND in my home in Florida the temp is slightly higher here LOL. Trio's or more do great as they are very social fish.
The profile photo's here on TPT include pics of my fish that were accepted (bit of pride in that) very neat fish to have (imo)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These guys are really fun too watch and after settling in a bit are quite friendly, they have been coming up and nibbling on my fingers when I put my hand in the tank. I want to get one or two more. The tank they are going in has: 2x red fantail goldfish. 1x red cap oranda. 2x bn pleco. I have red that dojos can get up to 10 so should I stop with three?

·
Registered
952 Posts
congrats on getting some really cool fish with character.
They actually like cooler water with the range topping out around 75ºF
Keeping mine with angels AND in my home in Florida the temp is slightly higher here LOL. Trio's or more do great as they are very social fish.
The profile photo's here on TPT include pics of my fish that were accepted (bit of pride in that) very neat fish to have (imo)
From taking care of these at the pet shop I have seen that the dojo's in our warm tank (low to mid 80's) do a lot better than the dojos in our tank without a heater which can drop to the low 70's. What I mean by this is that we have had 0 dojo deaths in the warm tank and in the cold tank we had half of our dojos (out of 30) die over a period of 3 months. In the warm tank there is much more activity, especially when feeding. In the cold tank they sit and rarely move. When feeding they wait for the food to stop in front of their faces (frozen blood worms). Keep in mind that these are from the same exact batch and are kept in the same enviroment. Weekly 50% water change. 7.6 pH The only variable changed was temperature.

I do agree with keeping them in groups. They never do good alone. This goes with any loaches.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Interesting and thanks for the first hand knowledge on that. I based my post on the listed species profile in books and on the web. Like I stated mine are kept above the listed preference range so that's good to know from another with first person experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap I was going by what I read online too. They do seem pretty frickin happy at 72 though. They swim all over the place and don't seem to have trouble finding food at the top of the tank or the bottom of it. I will need to keep track of their behaviour. I have a tank they could go in but I really had my sights set on the 75g. We'll see.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
In the winter months (all 3 weeks LMAO) I do get my tank temps down into the mid 70's and my critters seem to enjoy it fine.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
haha I visit SD during that 3 week summer that includes August when I can.
Can tell you for a fact I'm scared to live ANYWHERE that lists snowmobile parking on main street.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My whole family moved to Arizona. I just can't do 120 in the summer. I just stay in the house a lot in the winter. Having fish tanks is beautiful. Gives me some thing to do.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
My whole family moved to Arizona. I just can't do 120 in the summer. I just stay in the house a lot in the winter. Having fish tanks is beautiful. Gives me some thing to do.

so they list snowmobile parking on main street there too huh? LOL
kinda 180 out here but the same. If its not work related during midday in the summer I'm either in the AC or in the lake.

·
Registered
332 Posts
From taking care of these at the pet shop I have seen that the dojo's in our warm tank (low to mid 80's) do a lot better than the dojos in our tank without a heater which can drop to the low 70's. What I mean by this is that we have had 0 dojo deaths in the warm tank and in the cold tank we had half of our dojos (out of 30) die over a period of 3 months. In the warm tank there is much more activity, especially when feeding. In the cold tank they sit and rarely move. When feeding they wait for the food to stop in front of their faces (frozen blood worms). Keep in mind that these are from the same exact batch and are kept in the same enviroment. Weekly 50% water change. 7.6 pH The only variable changed was temperature.

I do agree with keeping them in groups. They never do good alone. This goes with any loaches.
That doesn't mean they're doing "better" in the warmer water though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far so good. The fish are super active and eating really well. They are going into the 75g next week and then I plan on getting two more and putting them in quarantine. Really happy with these fish. Huge personality

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.