The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making a terrarium or two. I've been watching YouTube a lot and they look like it can be a lot of fun. I saw one person that just picked up moss and plants from a hiking trail and made a terrarium.

I've also read that it is irresponsible to do that, that you'll bring all sorts of parasites and bad things into your setup.

These two viewpoints are opposites, so this is confusing.

Note: this isn't about cost. I happen to like the plants in New England. But I do worry that they'll want a winter to thrive and I wouldn't be able to provide that.

· Registered
287 Posts
If you like it bring it in. Yes there's bacteria and other organisms etc but that adds to biodiversity, which is good. You don't want a terrarium that is sterile

Sterile conditions are usually for quarantine or species only tanks where you want to grow or heal things as quickly as possible without nature getting in the way

Any imbalances introduced from the wild balances itself out over time - for bacteria it takes just days

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.