The Planted Tank Forum banner

Found eggs - where'd they come from?

1299 11
I found a collection of eggs on the tank glass this morning. I have no idea what created these and was hoping that someone could help me identify the culprit.

I have White Cloud Minnows and Sterbai Corydoras in the tank as well as some pond snails (idk what, small snails that came off a plant) that I have left to combat the algae on the tank wall pictured. I figure that the eggs had to have come from one of these sources. Anyone know which one?

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm... snail eggs would be a disappointment. I was hoping that they might be cory eggs. I want more Sterbai Cories, because they are awesome. If they are snail eggs I think I'll just let them set there and if something makes a snack of them - oh well. I don't have a breeders box yet anyways, so I suppose I don't have much of a choice in what to do.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
hmmm... snail eggs would be a disappointment. I was hoping that they might be cory eggs. I want more Sterbai Cories, because they are awesome. If they are snail eggs I think I'll just let them set there and if something makes a snack of them - oh well. I don't have a breeders box yet anyways, so I suppose I don't have much of a choice in what to do.

Cories will generally leave single eggs adhered to various surfaces. Without doing anything, I've had four metae cories born and made it to adulthood. I find eggs all the time, but then the other fish get to them, with the exception if these four I guess.

Maybe there is a small chance your sterbai will eat them, but if you want to get rid them, do it yourself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, all! I did a bit of googling myself and agree that they must be snail eggs. I want some snails around, but not an explosion of them, so if nothing eats the eggs I will have to evict them myself.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Pond snail populations will expand to fit the amount of food available to them (leftover fish food, dying leaves, algae, anything that is dead).

If your tank is clean and low algae, you should be able to control populations by controlling the amount of food you feed your fish.

If your tank has a lot of algae, they'll eat it, and they will increase in numbers until they have it controlled.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty sure they are snail eggs now and today more have shown up. I have almost an entire tank wall of algae so I suppose I am going to have a pileup of snails soon.

Good news is that I am now prepared if I see any cory eggs, because I bought a breeder box and some first bites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.