The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a hike and found the pretty cool branch/root system. I immediately knew I wanted it so I drug it back home. The problem is, and I knew then when is saw it, it's a little big for the tank. Standard 55 gallon tank (48"L, 13"W, 20"H). Take a look at the wood and help me figure out a way to cut the wood so that A: it looks natural/I can cover the cut edges up and B: It's balanced in the tank.

Lemme know what you think!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Depending on how 'bendy' it is, you may be able to partially break some of the branches to make it fit. Kind of like a greenstick fracture.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Think about where you want to cut, then cut it at an angle, not 90 degrees to the branch, and make it so the cut would be visible from the back of the tank, but hidden from the front.

The piece you cut off might be used in the tank, perhaps lay it on the substrate like a fallen branch. Bury the cut end in the substrate to hide the fresh cut.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a bigger tank and don't cut it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish. Maybe someday.

Depending on how 'bendy' it is, you may be able to partially break some of the branches to make it fit. Kind of like a greenstick fracture.
It;s not a fresh cut. Probably not flexable enough to try this but not a bad idea, Maybe if I cut through it partially and applied pressure at the cut. But that may leave it half a smooth cut and then half jagged.

Think about where you want to cut, then cut it at an angle, not 90 degrees to the branch, and make it so the cut would be visible from the back of the tank, but hidden from the front.

The piece you cut off might be used in the tank, perhaps lay it on the substrate like a fallen branch. Bury the cut end in the substrate to hide the fresh cut.
Is it a good idea to use sandpaper to round off and blend the cut edges?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.