The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have such a love hate relationship with this plant. On one hand it just carries my tank till my plants grow in and can keep up with the algae.

On the other hand once my tank gets going it blocks out all the light from my fixtures.

It gets really thick I used a plain old water bottle on this small tank, and on my 65 gallon I used a milk jug.

http://youtu.be/dU4bShpL7m8

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I've eliminated duckweed from a previous tank using a really similar method, although I just used a wide-mouthed cup.

Found out that skimming off duckweed like that works really well to draw it out of 'hiding' places, like plant leaves and behind equipment, etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've eliminated duckweed from a previous tank using a really similar method, although I just used a wide-mouthed cup.

Found out that skimming off duckweed like that works really well to draw it out of 'hiding' places, like plant leaves and behind equipment, etc.
I agree my tanks would have an half inch of the stuff already when I was netting it out.

It's been almost a week and I only see a few specs. Can't believe I've possible gotten rid of the stuff finally.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I added three pearl gouramis to my 29G and discovered that they absolutely love the stuff. They ate several hundred pieces in a few weeks. Cleared it out of the tank completely. I'm about to skim more out of my low tech tanks/bowls and feed it to them.

Oh, and I use a small kitchen strainer with a handle to skim it out. Works great, but you have to keep an eye out for hitchhiking shrimp and snails that like to cling to the roots!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.