The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short(er), I received this aquarium as a thirteenth birthday present about five years ago. It originally was low tech/no plants. Over time the plants and the technology have both increased. Because I have been unemployed most of this time, the upgrades have been slow, but gradual. I have gone from one NO fluorescent light, to two, to three, and then finally to compact fluorescent. I have gone from an "underpowered" power filter to a canister filter. I upgraded from no CO2 to DIY CO2, to pressurized CO2. In the life of this tank, the fish, plants, and hardscape have gone through many, many changes. Finally, I feel that I have made enough changes to this tank to consider it a "new old tank," and hence the journal begins:

My living room, where my aquarium has always been, got a makeover this January. We moved the aquarium to replace the carpet and paint the walls. Since I had to drain my tank and remove the fish to move the tank, I decided that it was a good time to upgrade to Aquasoil. I ordered 60 pounds of Aquasoil (which cost me a fortune) and ordered some new plants. The tank is currently sitting in my kitchen waiting for the plants so that I can change the substrate and replant with mostly new plants.

I will be posting some "before" pictures and hopefully some "after" pictures soon., but for now I'll start off with the equipment.

Equipment List

Aquarium
-All Glass Aquarium 38-Gallon with Dark Cherry Stand and Canopy
-36"L x 12"W x 18"H (914mm x 305mm x 457mm)
-38 Gallons (144 Liters)

CO2
-5 lbs Pressurized CO2 with Modified DIY Version of Inline "Rex Reactor"

Lighting
-96 Watt Compact Fluorescent Bright Kit From AHSupply.com
-About 2.5 Watts Per Gallon
-One 36" 6500°K Bulb
-12 Hours Per Day

Filtration
-Rena FilStar XP2

Heating
-Hydor 200-Watt Inline Heater

Hardscape
-Unknown Driftwood

Substrate
-ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (3 9 Liter Bags )

Fertilization
-DIY Autodoser for Macros
-Plantex CSM+B for Micros (soon to be Autodoser)

I will update soon with pictures!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally, I have pictures. I really have had them all along, but for the last couple weeks, I have not been able to get on the site because of technical difficulties. Anyways, I will attempt to catch up to where this tank is currently.

The Tank Before the Redo

The Room Before the Redo

The Tank Was Temporarily Setup in the Kitchen While Carpet was Installed

New Paint and New Carpet

My Tools

Tank With Aquasoil

HC and Hairgrass Planted

The Tank Is Finally Planted

I will hopefully be able to update again soon!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice start, I like the setup on with the driftwood on the left. Keep us updated as it grows out :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. I will list my fish and plants:

Fish
10 - Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal Tetras)
2 - Kryptopterus bicirrhis (Glass Catfish)
15 - Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (Red Cherry Shrimp)

Plants
Cyperus helferi
Bacopa sp. ? (either 'Colorata' or 'Caroliniana')
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica' (its very hidden right now)
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Eleocharis acicularis
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'
Hygrophila corymbosa (Giant Hygro)
Lysimachia nummularia
Blyxa aubertii
Isoetes sp.
Ceratopteris thalictroides ('Cutleaf' Watersprite)

I will be adding more cardinal tetras, glass catfish, and red cherry shrimp as well as some amano shrimp. Eventually I want to have either a pair of blue rams or a pair of apisto's in this tank.

If I can find my camera USB cable, I will add the recent photos.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I will list my fish and plants:

Fish
10 - Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal Tetras)
2 - Kryptopterus bicirrhis (Glass Catfish)
15 - Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (Red Cherry Shrimp)

Plants
Cyperus helferi
Bacopa sp. ? (either 'Colorata' or 'Caroliniana')
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica' (its very hidden right now)
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Eleocharis acicularis
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'
Hygrophila corymbosa (Giant Hygro)
Lysimachia nummularia
Blyxa aubertii
Isoetes sp.

I will be adding more cardinal tetras, glass catfish, and red cherry shrimp as well as some amano shrimp. Eventually I want to have either a pair of blue rams or a pair of apisto's in this tank.

If I can find my camera USB cable, I will add the recent photos.
not with shrimp in your tank....Apistos and rams will munch out on them...:help:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These pictures were taken a few days ago, which is about 25 days after the first pictures (when the tank was setup). The plants really didn't grow much for the first couple days, but have taken off since. The exception has been the Cyperus helferi, which has been growing very slow. I will chalk that up to the the fact that they were really unhealthy and beat-up from shipping when I got them. I have been really happy with the Aquasoil so far. It feels kinda soft and light, but it holds plants down very well. The growth is far better with aquasoil and all the new roots look really healty. My blyxa's both have multiple flower buds on them, but I cannot tell if they actually flowered yet or not.

I battled what I think was GDA and it has appeared to go away for the most part. I also battled two different types of hair algae. At this point, I think I have it under control.

I did not get a chance to setup the tripod when I took these photos, so they aren't the best, but they give a perspective of the tank after 25 days. Keep in mind that I trimmed the giant hygro, watersprite, sunset hygro and Lysimachia nummularia a couple days before the pictures were taken.

Right Side of Tank on March 1

Left Side of Tank on March 1

Full Tank Shot

The overall goal of this tank is to have a healthy, high-tech tank that does not need too much work in terms of trimming the plants. In less than six months, I will be leaving for college and the tank will be staying at home. I will be teaching my parents how to take care of it, but I want to keep it relatively simple and slow-growing (hence the various grass-like plants in the background). I already know I will be replacing the Echinodorus tenellus because of its fast growth, but I'm not sure what I should replace it with. Also, the watersprite and sunset hygro will have to go as well. If anyone has any ideas of what to replace these with, I'd appreciate it.

If anyone has any comments about the scape or anything else, I'd love to hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts