The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am just setting up a tank after many years of not having any tanks going. Another obsession of mine is fossils, and I have some that might be very interesting in a planted tank. All are from florida, some found in rivers, but most found in the ocean. I imagine I would have to do a decent amount of soaking to leach out harmful salts/ minerals.. Can anyone give me some advice of how much soaking, or other things I may need to do to them... or if its just a bad idea and I shouldnt do it.

Mammoth toe bone, Giant ground sloth rib head, Exctinct horse hip socket.

Years of geekery has given me other stuff to use... Dinosaur bones, teeth of all shapes and sizes... etc.

Would be interesting to use them

Chris

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've read that fossils are just a no-no in the aquarium. Many sources say that it can/will change the water parameters. I've never seen any evidence/result, from studies, that shows how badly it changes water parameters. Then again, there are many ways organics could be fossilized.

I'd say no.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oh yeah, do it! I love fossils too!! I think you'd be alright to just boil them for awhile. Sorry, but not sure on how long though. I wouldn't think it'd take that long, but I might be wrong. Maybe boil it and soak for a couple days, or vice-versa or some combination of the two. I so wanna see this one when it's done, subscribed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooh, now I'm not sure ! This is my first planted tank in years... Should I risk it ? Would also be willing to ship out some fossils in trade for plants... If anyone is wants to try with me.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
You will never see 212°F in your aquarium LMAO.

I would boil nothing.

5g bucket, spare tank, anything that holds water, air pump, tubing and air stone for circulation. Leave anything you want in the tank soaking for a week or more then test whatever parameter there is concern about shifting.
TDS, GH, KH, whatever. Baseline the water at the start of the soak and see what changes.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I use local river rock that have shell/plant fossils in them all the time. These rocks of mine appear to have a high iron content, too. I used them long ago befoe I knew better. My fish and plants have never suffered for this, and I keep mostly tetras, barbs, and rasboras. My PH satys high, but the fish live for years & years.
Very cool fossils - I wish I could find things like that!

·
Registered
77 Posts
What about that hip socket turned into a tree with moss covering the part that looks to me like an elephants head and the other shaft part sort of "planted" as the stump of the tree. Sorry if that is confusing, but that is the first thought I had when I saw your fossils last night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.