The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Tank! Just acquired this beautifully over grown jungle through a fellow hobbyist. He's getting out of the hobby and donated the entire setup to me.
IMG_4781.jpg
It's a 30 gallon (36x13x17 inch) with a planted plus 24/7, heater, Aquaclear70 and that giant powerhead. Looks just like this, just set up in my basement now lol. :grin2:

Here's the plan! I'd like to do a Forest's Edge aquascape with a fallen tree and an open meadow area. The forest will cover about 1/3 with the other half being open grass & shrubs.
30 gallon.JPG
Ideally I will shell out the cash for Aquasoil. I have a spec V with aquasoil, planted plus 24/7 set up, the MC is doing great! I'm looking for spider wood to make the trees, hopefully I can find enough to really get the right pieces for the space. I think I will pick up a canister filter off Craigslist (or here if someone has a Fluval for cheap) and try to hid the inlet, outlet and heater in the forest. Stocking will likely be shrimp and CPD/(other small fish that might like the open space better) and maybe a betta.

The tank is very much in the concept stage right now haha, but I wanted to start a journal as I never did for my other tanks. Need to find somewhere to put all that jungle val! Let me know you thoughts!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Cool idea.

It is pretty hard to make a fallen tree look natural I tried it to. I would recommend to practice a lot with the hardscape before setting up.

Remember to cut/saw pieces of spiderwood to make the "perfect" pieces.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I love the Idea you drew. It looks really, really nice. Only thing I would change, or add, is some Staurogyne repens in patches close to the "trees" right before the Monte carlo, and in the right, where you have the Pogostemon, I would add a central AR 'mini' surrounded by some Pogostemon helferi - to add a really impacting red accent... Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, sorry nothing at the moment to update on. I cleaned up the current scape a bit, will post a pic later today. Still scavenging equipment and accruing plants for the new year, planning on diving into this tank January 1st!
I'm actually finishing up my Master's (in Environmental Engineering) along with my research this semester, so not a lot of free time right now. Hopefully Christmas will brings aquasoil and spiderwood ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinned things out a bit and swapped in a different powerhead. There were a couple swords hidden in the val jungle haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking of what background would be best for this tank. The tank is currently painted black, but I'm leaning towards a frosted glass. Then I could play around with different back-lighting too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking of what background would be best for this tank. The tank is currently painted black, but I'm leaning towards a frosted glass. Then I could play around with different back-lighting too. Thoughts?
I think black looks best makes the colors pop out more. My tank came with frosted back glass but if i would redo my scape i'd make it black. Back lightning is nice if your scape is build for a sunset kind of thing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMG_6041.jpg

Picked up some spiderwood and made a box to work through some scapes. Aquasoil is on the way in the mail. I also cleaned out the tank and picked up another 5# CO2 tank and an aquatek regulator off craigslist. Things are coming together!

Haven't decided if I will do the DSM or try and flood right away. leaning towards the yogurt method for the mosses with DSM and flooding relatively early.

I picked up a frosted glass laminate but really did not like how "sparkly" it was. Will be looking around for another option.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trial and error

Took a few tries at scapeing the forest. Defiantly gonna need a few more. I think I found the perfect piece for the fallen tree. I has a nice knotted hole in it and seems to fit well with the scale of my layout. Let me know what you think!

Still working on finding a balance between placing enough trees and having a manageable scape. I want to be able to get around everything to trim the moss and stuff. I also have to keep everything like 2 inches away from the glass to get the algae scrapper in between everything. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's the best 3 so far. Too many trees or not enough? Sorry about the washing machine really throwing the balance off haha.

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Took a few tries at scapeing the forest. Defiantly gonna need a few more. I think I found the perfect piece for the fallen tree. I has a nice knotted hole in it and seems to fit well with the scale of my layout. Let me know what you think!

Still working on finding a balance between placing enough trees and having a manageable scape. I want to be able to get around everything to trim the moss and stuff. I also have to keep everything like 2 inches away from the glass to get the algae scrapper in between everything. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's the best 3 so far. Too many trees or not enough? Sorry about the washing machine really throwing the balance off haha.

View attachment 819658

View attachment 819666

View attachment 819674

of these three, I like the middle one most

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The fallen tree is nice to make it more natural. Nice!

Front trees are to small. Very small... If you can not find bigger pieces you can combine pieces and cover the connections with moss. This way it will look like 1 tree.

Go for slow growers. You don't want fast growers in a forest. Trimming is a pain. With slow growers your life will be easier in terms of trimming. But watch out with to much light or algae...

To get more depth it is better to "frame" with pieces against the glass on the left and right.

Make a big slope for more depth.

You can use an aquascape spatula and glue furniture pads on this. This way you have a very thin algae remover. https://www.drinstruments.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/1457/image/2365/

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hardscape Round 2

IMG_6095.jpg

Thanks all for the advice! I scaped this one last night before seeing all your comments this morning, I like it the best so far. I tried to wrap smaller pieces of wood around other trees to make more branches, I don't want it to look "rooty" tho...
@Nigel95 I do have some larger pieces, but they aren't as interesting. I see how it would help with the scale. I feel like the fallen tree should still be the biggest piece, would you agree?
Idk why I always forget to slope the substrate haha. I will play around with that tonight. It might be a little tricky, as the substrate is already elevated to allow the fallen tree to bridge over the "hillside"/natural flood plain I'm going for.
Still a little hesitant on putting pieces close to/up against the glass.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Slope is pretty important.

See the difference between A and B.
A
ada 45p day 25 v2 by Nigel H, on Flickr

B
ada 45p forest day 56 by nigel aquascaping by Nigel H, on Flickr

The fallen tree doesn't have to be the biggest always. But in your case it is laying at front so it could be the biggest.

You can cover the big trees in moss if they are really uninteresting. Bigger trees up front makes a huge difference in depth. You want it to look deep as possible or it will look like a forest that ends abruptly. A big slope will also help with this.

In my forests you don't see trees against the glass but I placed some extra for the final shot (which I will share later). It leads the eye more towards the middle. Much better.

Details are also very important to make a nice scape. In a forest you need some roots on the ground IMO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts