The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, so i recieved a bag of amazonia in the mail last week. and today on my day off, i wanted to soak the substrate to release some of its tannis before adding it to my tank.then i noticed tons of these floating particles that doesnt look like the rest of the substrate.
they look like the same crap that came with a bad batch of eco-complete i recieved a while back
anyone else here that has recently purchased some amazonia gotten any foreign objects ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Those are just little twigs/sticks. They're pretty common in bags of amazonia. Just fish them out, they should float to the top. Mine had a bunch a few months ago but the bag was otherwise fine. If you have a LOT of it, Im sure you could call the supplier and they'd send you a new batch.

(Most bad eco, on the otherhand, is full of white/red/grey rocks and seashells)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just kept running the water so all of it floated over the rim .
do you think a hanful is alot tiny twigs is enough to call the distributer?

·
Banned
332 Posts
They are not just twigs, they are power twigs and are a critical component in the function of the overall nature system matrix.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The wood/twigs are an essential part of the ADA substrate system. Over time, when most other substrates lose nutrients and have to be revived via tabs, inserts, ADA aquasoil is still releasing nutrients due to the decay of those twigs/wood, which feeds bacteria and plants.

I have even found small pieces of glass in my Amazonia.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just got an email from an ADA associate to " Simply skim it off the top. It is a one time deal on initial setup."
i didnt know i was paying 40 bucks for a handful of twigs. im sure its good stuff. so im not bad mouthing ADA products. im all for it.

i cant knock it till i try it

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have seen the same type of debris (floating plant material) in Flourite bags I have used and it didn't hurt anything. I personally would not be too concerned.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Honestly rinsing AS out is a waste. you want to keep all the stuff in the tank. The tannins go away naturally just as if you add wood. Honestly the Tannins from my AS wasn't noticeable. All the dust, twigs, peat and such plays a part in the break down of natural stuff in the AS.

Just dump it in, wet it down abit, and plant it up fill the tank with water and your good to go.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts