The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know it sounds terrible. i bought 25 black neon tetras and 25 rasbora harlequins. they're scattered all around the tank.

i need one or two fish to scare them all and make them school. the fish should not harm the red cherries in side my tank.

it's tough i know...

any possibilities?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What size tank is at and how many cherries are there? If it's a large enough tank, you could try a dwarf cichlid. Apistos and rams. They would eat some shrimps, but if the tank is large enough, there should always be some other shrimps. They also may help your tetras and rasboras school.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Clean a ping pong ball and drop it in the tank. This way you dont have to add more fish and mess with the bio load. This has worked for me to reduce aggression in the cichlid tank. The fish chase the ball and not each other. The small fish seemed afraid and would school togehter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My Neon tetra don't really school either, they just kinda shoal around at best, but honestly I take it as a compliment from my fish that i've made them a home they feel safe in :) and that everyone is getting along.

Though i've been thinking of throwing in a bigger [peaceful] fish that might make them feel the need to at least shoal closer, I'm not sure I want to put an aggressive fish in there and risk loseing anyone, or stressing my schoolers out, lol.

Tell me how it works out for you, though :D.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cichlids at your own risk; my Apisto and GBRs demolished the RCS colony in my 90gal.
My male GBR doesn't bother my RCS colony too much, (though I do have a lot of hiding places for them and I started out with a large group), but he did kill the female GBR :icon_frow He mostly leaves the adults home and will occasionally chase after a juvie and I do see a ton of RCS in my tank whenever I look close, so I don't think he's affecting the population.

I think he helps my brigittae school, they're very skittish though. But my CPDs are all over the place except when I'm trying to take pictures and then they hide. Tetras might be less easy to scare, but apistos and rams are great fish! Good luck!

·
Anti iwagumi
4,808 Posts
since you have shrimp in a fish tank i doubt you care about them, right? :hihi: so just get a predator.idk if rams/apistos work, never seen it in action. my friend has a 155 and has a huge school of neons with a few angels. i think he has to replace a few neons every month though ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
waterfaller1
yeah a net make them school for a few moments :)

CaffeinatedCake
i do have another tank with rummy noses and boesemani rainbows. the presence of bigger fish make them school all the time.

dooboogoo
thanks for sharing your experience. i might try a pair of GBR.

mistergreen
so i put a tennis ball floating and my fish are nipping it endlessly, lol....

chris127
why did you say that? of course i care for my shrimps, that's why i asked for something that won't bother my shrimps.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I've been keeping black neons for a long time, have always been one of my favorite tetras. IME they don't school much when frightened, more like scatter around the tank and hide out. And even a rambunctious [murderous] 7" angelfish isn't enough to threaten them or make them nervous enough not to nip at it's thread fins, only my hands and a net do the job. They do shoal up nicely together when they're calm though, usually in the last few hours of the light cycle. I'm no black neon expert, this is just what I've always observed.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.